Function/Cover band amp

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Last time I did the cover band on guitar thing I used a Fender Blues Deluxe and a bunch of pedals.

I haven't had amp gas since I got the Helix, but that's probably the one amp I'd find space for. I liked it far more than the usual choice of the HRD. I have no idea what the internal differences are or why I liked it more.

Seemed to take silly metal pedals better than the HRD too. 
    You are welcome to buy mine. Ears says yes. Back says no. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
    I was in PMT with a mate this afternoon trying a load of combo's. Amps tried were Fender Bass Breaker 18 \ 30, Orange Rocker 30, HRD III  and 15 Watt Princeton Reverb amp 

Princeton reverb was the best and the smallest, shame it's also the most money 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Danny1969 said:
    I was in PMT with a mate this afternoon trying a load of combo's. Amps tried were Fender Bass Breaker 18 \ 30, Orange Rocker 30, HRD III  and 15 Watt Princeton Reverb amp 

I really like the princeton sound too, but it's marginal power for some of the gigs I have to cover which is a shame. I might get one as a rehearsal and home amp but yes they are expensive for that.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Princeton would be mental loud as a home amp. Better and/or extension speakers are a good approach with them for more din (or just get two ;) )   Ryan Adams gets a huge noise from Princetons (think he uses more than one).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Jalapeno said:
    Princeton would be mental loud as a home amp.
    Why?

They have volume controls, and they sound great at any level.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    ICBM said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Princeton would be mental loud as a home amp.
    Why?

They have volume controls, and they sound great at any level.
    You have to crank them to get the sweet stuff ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
    What surprised me about the princeton amp was it was the smallest box but sounded the least boxy !! To me it actually sounded bigger than the other amps ... how the hell does that work ?

I just didn't get the Bass Breaker thing at all, 2 mediocre channels which need a whole lot of pedal love to do anything. I could have gigged the Princeton on it's own for a lot of my gigs. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Jalapeno said:

No you don't.

You have to crank it to get overdrive, yes… but the clean tone at low volume is stunning.

Danny1969 said:
    What surprised me about the princeton amp was it was the smallest box but sounded the least boxy !! To me it actually sounded bigger than the other amps ... how the hell does that work ?
    A cleaner circuit design with a scooped tone stack, fixed-bias output section - and good reverb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    ICBM said:
    Jalapeno said:

No you don't.

You have to crank it to get overdrive, yes… but the clean tone at low volume is stunning.

Danny1969 said:
    A cleaner circuit design with a scooped tone stack, fixed-bias output section - and good reverb.
    Agree.
    Princeton style amps are my favourite amps for home.
    I have a Louis Electric Roadrunner at the moment and it sounds amazing at neighbour friendly levels.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Danny1969 said:

I had the same issue when I tried a los of amps including a DRRI - I was a bit anti-fender and it was a couple of hundred over budget but it was the only one I lost myself in. I tried Orange, Vox, Peavey... Bass Breaker works for what it is, but if you want real tone it's gonna be a bit lacking. 
    I never regretted spending extra on the DRRI. Awesome amp.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    So, after three pages of suggestions I think the answer to the original question is any amp you bloody well like including the one you already have. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ^^ zackly!!! :lol:
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1095
    So, after three pages of suggestions I think the answer to the original question is any amp you bloody well like including the one you already have. 

Was only interested in what others were using as I haven't done this thing before so was getting a scope on what they were using!

I think some OD pedals would give some additional variation on what kind of dirty sound I want.
  • PowerslavePowerslave Frets: 103
    Perhaps by way of a bleeding edge wild-card, maybe consider at least trying the new PRS Sonzera 20 combo?