Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cheap, but decent sounding small body acoustic recommendations please...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• woody said:
     for me the recording king ros16 is just about unbeatable and should just about come in top of your budget..its an absolute giant killer.. its an 000 size with a wider nut spacing to suit fingerpicking...ive owned acoustics at almost 10 times the price that I haven't knocked as much enjoyment out of..
    I have an ROS-627 and it is stunning. I'm looking at adding another of the range now. Thomanns are doing the RODS-616 all mahogany for a steal...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    woody said:
     a wider nut spacing to suit fingerpicking...
    did we ever get agreement/suitable answer to that ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • John_P said:

£39 and on par with a £120 Vintage

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbcg45.htm

That looks silly cheap - might grab one - thanks BW
    How can it be so cheap?! I literally don't know how they can do that.
  • bertie said:
    woody said:
     a wider nut spacing to suit fingerpicking...
    did we ever get agreement/suitable answer to that ?
    for me it's about string spacing. I like to get my fingers in under the strings and pull when playing finger style blues. Harder to do that with the narrower spacing that seems to come along with a 43mm nut. 
  • John_P said:

£39 and on par with a £120 Vintage

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbcg45.htm

That looks silly cheap - might grab one - thanks BW
    How can it be so cheap?! I literally don't know how they can do that.

Buying power. Thomann invest vast sums of money in their own brand items from instruments to studio equipment, all with their 30 day money back policy.  I've seen so many of their HB guitars acquired by local music teachers for their students and the vast majority are on par with those in the £200-300 range for little more than £100.

I've seen a handful of duds in that time, and even then they were still worth the money. 

• Take a look at Turner Guitars - UK company - their 40-00 is a 14 fret 'parlour size. http://www.turnerguitars.com/products/guitars/40-series/turner-40-00.aspx Retail is £299 but you can probably get it cheaper! yournextguitar.com
  • horsehorse Frets: 1571
    Take a look at Turner Guitars - UK company - their 40-00 is a 14 fret 'parlour size. http://www.turnerguitars.com/products/guitars/40-series/turner-40-00.aspx Retail is £299 but you can probably get it cheaper! yournextguitar.com
    Remember - that's yournextguitar.com!

And did I mention yournextguitar.com?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    On the budget I would look out for a second hand Faith, Breedlove or Lag.
    Although I think new the Lag will fit the budget.

Hopefully I wont upset too many but Yamaha have gone to the dogs. I am not sure what happened around the late 90s but the once great acoustic makers seem to have lost the plot. The APX is hideous now days across most of the range, the CPX isnt much better either. I would take an entry level Martin over a high end Yammy any day of the week.

All my opinion of course
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.