Guitar withdrawal symptoms...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Clarky said:

yes I did..
    playing in goal and some matey pinged a half volley off the laces from about 15 yards out..
    I made the save but didn't manage to fully make the 'W' with my hands in time and the ball hit the little finger on my right hand [my neck hand] end on..
    the bone at the very end of my little finger broke lengthways..
    I'd only just been signed to RCR and thought my career was over when I saw the X-Ray..

Similar happened to me, was practicing before a game and my mate took a practice shot at me and it broke the tip of my finger next to my thumb on the fretting hand. I didn't go to docs though, couldn't play properly for a few months and adapted but now it's mostly healed, has a little bump but not too bad. Hurts to play every now and then.
    After reading these I've decided I'm gonna shy away from goalkeeping duties from now on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010 said:
    Clarky said:

yes I did..
    playing in goal and some matey pinged a half volley off the laces from about 15 yards out..
    I made the save but didn't manage to fully make the 'W' with my hands in time and the ball hit the little finger on my right hand [my neck hand] end on..
    the bone at the very end of my little finger broke lengthways..
    I'd only just been signed to RCR and thought my career was over when I saw the X-Ray..

Similar happened to me, was practicing before a game and my mate took a practice shot at me and it broke the tip of my finger next to my thumb on the fretting hand. I didn't go to docs though, couldn't play properly for a few months and adapted but now it's mostly healed, has a little bump but not too bad. Hurts to play every now and then.
    After reading these I've decided I'm gonna shy away from goalkeeping duties from now on!
    Just buy those expensive reinforced gloves with the bars that stop the hand bending back and you will be fine 
    Old Is Gold
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1090
    edited June 2017
    I'm proud to say I've never really gone through bouts where I didn't play the guitar for 2 weeks or something. I always always stuck at it, even through times i didn't have a band or played some ghastly music I never ever stopped. The beginning was obviously the hardest as I felt like giving up but I carried on. I've now been playing for almost 20 years now and never feel any urge to stop. Yes there'll be bumpy patches on the road and sometimes you don't get to play as much but I will always want to play cos I love it so much.

I was lucky to go to a music institute in 2007 for 4 years which really took my playing to the next level and kept me hungry, wanting to improve and being surrounded by musicians every day. Without that I don't think I'd be where I am now, I'd still be playing, but probably not good at a lot of things.

Sometimes exploring new styles and techniques can help liven up your enthusiasm. I'm a tutor now and anyone learning songs I change up the styles sometimes to keep it interesting. They love the variation in skills needed to play and stuff.

I understand you can't play 24/7 so some rest is good or a short break. By that I don't mean 3 months, learners that say this to me never ever come back for lessons and it basically just says "I don't want to play anymore". If you love something enough you will want to play MORE surely?

I don't know if you had lessons but I think they're good to keep you motivated, without my tutors at the institute I wouldn't have been inclined to practice, or have any structure to my learning. My inspiration was to get as near as I could to some of these players that were teaching me, they were all amazing players.

So find something to enthuse and inspire you and get excited about (mine was playing in a band). Accept there'll be rocky roads but don't give up!
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    Wow, thank you to everyone who has chipped in, reading all of this has really helped!

I've been telling myself 'Think of Django' and 'Tony Iommi manages well' but it didn't seem to work... probably because those guys are on a pedestal! Reading some real life experiences has definitely given me hope and helped!

Playing with just 3 fingers for now isn't an option as the comedy bandage mutes the strings and i can't seem to use my little finger without it pulling my ring finger close enough to the strings to mute them. I didn't think to work on my right hand technique though so thanks @thebreeze ;

I hadn't really thought about something to inspire and enthuse me once I can attempt to play again, I have never needed inspiration to pick up and play, but from what @Clarky has said the hardest bit is yet to come! I have been avoiding music that really inspires me so that it doesn't wind me up... maybe i need to get back to listening to the stuff that really gets me wanted to play so that im that desperate to play, when the time comes I wont notice the pain!

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and input, I really appreciate it.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    I hope you will get well soon, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you to have a painless new start with the guitar! There is an idea that came to my mind: Perhaps... in order not to focus and to worry too much... and to open a new horizon while you are still convalescent - have you ever considered taking up singing? In a choir, perhaps? 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Wow, thank you to everyone who has chipped in, reading all of this has really helped!

I've been telling myself 'Think of Django' and 'Tony Iommi manages well' but it didn't seem to work... probably because those guys are on a pedestal! Reading some real life experiences has definitely given me hope and helped!

Playing with just 3 fingers for now isn't an option as the comedy bandage mutes the strings and i can't seem to use my little finger without it pulling my ring finger close enough to the strings to mute them. I didn't think to work on my right hand technique though so thanks @thebreeze ;

I hadn't really thought about something to inspire and enthuse me once I can attempt to play again, I have never needed inspiration to pick up and play, but from what @Clarky has said the hardest bit is yet to come! I have been avoiding music that really inspires me so that it doesn't wind me up... maybe i need to get back to listening to the stuff that really gets me wanted to play so that im that desperate to play, when the time comes I wont notice the pain!

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and input, I really appreciate it.

in my case it wasn't something to inspire me..
    I've never needed that to pick up a guitar..
    it was a thing that says 'don't lose heart'
    because for a while I thought it may well all be over..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    artinski said:
    I hope you will get well soon, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you to have a painless new start with the guitar! There is an idea that came to my mind: Perhaps... in order not to focus and to worry too much... and to open a new horizon while you are still convalescent - have you ever considered taking up singing? In a choir, perhaps? 

You're just just rubbing salt into the wound there arti  :) 

But seriously singing is a good suggestion.
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    artinski said:

I can't sing for toffee!!! I wish i could sing but I have less than a single octave range and it cuts out either end and sounds bloody awful!!

I'm playing xbox more but thats no good...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Tuning your guitar to open / interesting tuning might make for more interesting right hand practice. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    @chrishill901 ; ;) I see. But you would be surprised what a good singing teacher or choirmaster could do. And how much fun singing can be!