TGP: Paypal Gift

What's Hot
I found this interesting:

"As of July 1, 2017 we will no longer allow any ads that request payment via PayPal Gift in the TGP Emporiums. After July 1, 2017, we will delete any ads asking for PayPal Gift payment and we will issue the member a warning. If there is a second instance of asking for Gift by that member, the account will be suspended.

We are taking this action because using PayPal Gift removes the normal protection for buyers. Please also be aware that we will suspend the user account of any seller who is shown to have asked for PayPal Gift once contacted by a buyer."

I suspect there is a little more to this than meets the eye and that complaints from defrauded buyers have reached a level that they can no longer ignore.
“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Probably. Stinging sellers via PayPal Gift is widespread.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Fair play to them for cracking down on fraudsters.  They have a huge membership so it must be hard.  Maybe they will scan PMs over there for keywords like PPG or gift. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    On here I think it's down to personal judgement. If I was buying from one of the forum regulars, I normally would be quite happy to use ppg, but if it were an ad from one of the people who just use the forum as a market place then l would be more cautious.. unless they perhaps had a good feedback record. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Most forums do this now. Way too much risk these days.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Probably. Stinging sellers via PayPal Gift is widespread.
    Surely it's the buyer who could be stung with PPG? As its non refundable if the seller never sends the goods.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    I tend to be happy doing it for small items, but if it's more money than I can afford to lose I'd rather pay fees or agree to split them. It's odd how etiquette can make it seem awkward to go against it now though. It's almost like saying no to ppg can be seen as accusatory by some people. If someone is very resistant I will and have walked away from a purchase. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28510
    It's not the fees - it's that Paypal are a bunch of useless lazy wazzocks, so if it's not PPG there's too much risk (as a seller) of the buyer ending up with the item and their money back.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    So whats the point of PPG then?...I wonder how many people use it for its correct purpose

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28510
    Gifts, repaying friends, that sort of thing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26665
    Fair play to them for cracking down on fraudsters.  They have a huge membership so it must be hard.  Maybe they will scan PMs over there for keywords like PPG or gift. 
    Yep, it's got to be down to scale. We can still get away with it because this forum is relatively small, and it's pretty easy to know who to trust and who to be a bit careful with (the regular vs newbie argument), but at TGP membership levels...I'd be tempted to do the same thing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7349
    I've found that some people automatically expect gift, whereas I automatically expect goods and services; because you know, it's not a gift is it? It's goods and services.

If it's specifically stated as an option then I'll consider it, but if it states gift only then I just ignore the advert because I think it's a bit cheeky to ask someone to send hundreds of pounds as a gift when its not a gift.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    edited June 2017
    DefaultM said:
    I've found that some people automatically expect gift, whereas I automatically expect goods and services; because you know, it's not a gift is it? It's goods and services.

If it's specifically stated as an option then I'll consider it, but if it states gift only then I just ignore the advert because I think it's a bit cheeky to ask someone to send hundreds of pounds as a gift when its not a gift.
    If I'm not certain of the seller then I just do it as goods and services and pay the extra 3% odd fees myself. As long as the seller gets the full whack it shouldn't be an issue to them ( I'd be concerned if it did) and it gives me the full protection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:

It's actually not called "PayPal Gift" any more - I believe it's "Friends and Family".

Anyway, it's just a synonym for "not paying the fees and not getting protection" - functionally no different from doing a bank transfer or meeting up and handing over cash. They aren't particularly offensive options, so I don't see why it would be any different doing the same thing with PayPal.

In any case...I tend to offer people the option. They can either use PPG and take the risk, or they pay the fees...
    <space for hire>
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7349
    edited June 2017
    I've seen a lot of it on facebook though, where the seller has asked for a non fee PayPal payment and has then just pocketed the money. From PayPal's perspective you've just sent a friend some money. If you mention an item not showing up they're just going to say where does that come in to it? 

That's why I'm saying if it's offered as an option then I'll consider it, but if it's gift only then I just walk away.
    Why would you not even offer your 'customer' the option of being protected? It just makes me suspicious. 

I just assume there will be fees, and then often people will pay by gift regardless. I'm grateful for it but I've never said it's a requirement. Or I'll say you can have it at this cheaper price if you pay by gift but you don't have to. 
    DefaultM said:

Why would you not even offer your 'customer' the option of being protected? It just makes me suspicious. 
    Because, like eBay, it appears that the only options available are at the extremes. With PayPal buyer protection, the default position is "side with the buyer", which makes it easy (if not trivial) for the buyer to run a scam and end up with the money and the item in question.

That's not advice, just an observation.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom