SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Classifieds selling advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Went it comes to the trustworthiness of a seller I approach it in a similar way to EBay - If I am not familiar with someone I check people's history.

If someone has been a member for a good few months and made a few hundred posts then I figure they are going a really long way around if they are looking to scam someone out of £80 say for a pedal. 

On music radar most disputes I saw that popped up were to do with the condition of an item -particularly a couple of guitar.  Like with any distance selling get as many pictures as you need to be satisfied before purchasing.  What someone describes as 'good condition' may not be what you would describe in the same way as we all use and treat equipment differently.  The seller is wanting to sell and should expect to put in a bit of work.  If they aren't willing to answer ALL questions or provide ALL the photos you request to you satisfaction then I would walk away or else you are 'taking a chance'.

Via the forum I personally would not buy anything from outside the UK as there are so many points it could go wrong and the acceptance of responsibility become grossly complex. 

Regardless or whether using PPG, Bank Transfer or other, get the seller to send you their details along with a clear request for the amount you need to pay and what you are paying it for including any faults or damage.  That way if feel you have been ripped off you can take if further legally without the need for the 'I said / he said' fallout. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    axisus said:
    impmann said:
    ... but if someone doesn't want to use PPG, then they will need to pay the fees. 
    Personally I think that's ridiculous! If a seller wants to sell, and he wants to use an intermediary to facilitate a sale, why should he expect to not pay for that service!?!!? Why should it be on the buyer to pay them, and if they don't risk getting stiffed?
    I don't think its that bad, certainly not ridiculous.   just give people the options and let them make up their own mind

lets say I have an item I want to sell for £100 and a buyer that agrees its worth £100:
    • you can come to my house and hand me £100 in fresh notes.
    • You can pay me £100 via PPG
    • You can send me £100 via bank transfer
    • You can pay me £104 via PP

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I guess what I really mean is I think it's better to build the cost into your initial price rather than act like they are inconveniencing you and therefore they will have to pay. Shops factor all overheads into the price on the shelf.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27082
    axisus said:
    impmann said:
    ... but if someone doesn't want to use PPG, then they will need to pay the fees. 
    Personally I think that's ridiculous! If a seller wants to sell, and he wants to use an intermediary to facilitate a sale, why should he expect to not pay for that service!?!!? Why should it be on the buyer to pay them, and if they don't risk getting stiffed?
    I'd argue it's because the buyer is the one who gets the protection, and so the buyer should pay for it. Just because a buyer is worried about wanting that protection doesn't mean a seller should have to therefore accept less money. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27082

Went it comes to the trustworthiness of a seller I approach it in a similar way to EBay - If I am not familiar with someone I check people's history.

If someone has been a member for a good few months and made a few hundred posts then I figure they are going a really long way around if they are looking to scam someone out of £80 say for a pedal. 

On music radar most disputes I saw that popped up were to do with the condition of an item -particularly a couple of guitar.  Like with any distance selling get as many pictures as you need to be satisfied before purchasing.  What someone describes as 'good condition' may not be what you would describe in the same way as we all use and treat equipment differently.  The seller is wanting to sell and should expect to put in a bit of work.  If they aren't willing to answer ALL questions or provide ALL the photos you request to you satisfaction then I would walk away or else you are 'taking a chance'.

Via the forum I personally would not buy anything from outside the UK as there are so many points it could go wrong and the acceptance of responsibility become grossly complex. 

Regardless or whether using PPG, Bank Transfer or other, get the seller to send you their details along with a clear request for the amount you need to pay and what you are paying it for including any faults or damage.  That way if feel you have been ripped off you can take if further legally without the need for the 'I said / he said' fallout. 

And THAT is why posting without pictures is daft, and why people who put up an ad without them will always get people asking for pics straight away.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires