Car Insurance Renewal Quotes for (ageing) Parents

What's Hot
SRichSRich Frets: 763
edited June 2017 in Off Topic
What a scorcher today huh?

My Dad who's turning 86 years of age on Monday (happy birthday Dad!) has to renew his car insurance shortly. You can imagine the loading that insurance companies place on seniors - and that car insurance seems to have leapt up anyway.

Given that my folks aren't on-line and I'm 250 miles away so can't just pop up to sort this - I did previously get some quotes a few years ago for him, but given that I can't impersonate him - a little thing called insurance fraud rules that out, what's the best way to get some alternate quotes? He's ok on the phone but, like a lot of folks his age, probably get's a little frustrated at making a round of calls. Last year he caved and went with his existing insurer, but given his increasing age (and I know he'll have to give it up eventually), it appears he's getting shafted.

No accidents in the last 10 years at least.

Anyone faced the same issue? Advice?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Can't you do it online for him?

I've done my wife's online several times...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Iamnobody said:
    Can't you do it online for him?

I've done my wife's online several times...
    This. 

My mum is 83 and not computer literate. For many years she had her car insured with Saga and (typically for an old'un) assumed that they were always giving her the best deal each year. Wrong!

I got her a quote from Direct Line that was, I think £100+ cheaper, for exactly the same cover.

There's no reason for you not to do the complete quotation and completion of the purchase of car insurance on line.  
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I went through this last year with mam who is 89, the quotes I was getting online were eye watering to say the least, she'd had a fair few minor bumps so we persuaded her to give up driving as her health wasn't in good shape then (now in a wheelchair).

Her main worry was food shopping, I said I'll set up an online account for you with the supermarket you use and get home delivery but she wasn't having any of that, so I said OK I'll take you shopping every week, It must be hard for them to lose that independence but I'm just relieved she decided to call it a day.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 293
    Other options that you, or your father could try are, a high street insurance broker or 'phone a broker. They can trawl the market for you, and should know of insurers that offer better deals to older drivers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom