T-Rex Soulmate Incoming

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
So i've managed to get a great deal through a forum member for one of these tasty looking units, i haven't tried one in person so what should i be expecting. I'm a bit of a pedalphobe, i've owned a lot but prefer simplicity and only need a few sounds.

I've owned the original Mudhoney which i thought was a great, slightly more refined Rat, but the only other Trex pedals I've owned were the Alberta Overdrive (good, if a little bland) and a Tonebug Reverb, which was a little bit shit.

Soulmate owners / users past and present, feel free to chime in!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've not tried the Soulmate but your comment 'good, if a little bland' sums up my attitude to T-Rex drive sounds. Hopefully the Soulmate will be more inspiring.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
     Picked the Soulmate up from my local Post office first thing today and so far i've been mightily impressed.

It looks like a well built unit, its all screwed together very well, everything feels tight and sturdy, very Danish!

First impressions:
     Delay & Reverb are very good, certainly better than a lot of stand-alone pedals i've owned, theres enough scope to do what i'll need anyway, which is pretty simple stuff, i'm not an indie noise architect. The Overdrive is extremely good, i'd read that it was based around the Møller circuit, but it wouldn't matter what this actually is, it just sounds very good. Easy to dial in, with a good range on all the controls. The boost combined with the overdrive is sublime, a great powerful rock tone. The boost is pretty good, adds a bit of sparkle and a bit more hair, pretty useful! 
     The only let down is the distortion, its absolutely rubbish. I'm a big Rat fan, i've owned loads along with a couple of the Mudhoneys too, although they say this is the Mudhoney circuit, it certainly doesn't sound like it! Its fizzy, overly loose and the EQ sweep on the tone control is just all wrong, i think its been revoiced to accommodate the presence control, which is something it didn't really need! The Tuner is alright but not as accurate or fast as the pickup ring shadow unit on my PRS.

I've set it up into the Bank mode
     1: Reverb - my stock slightly hairy clean
     2: Boost - stock hairy clean with a bit more bite/gain
     3: Overdrive - main drive sound (also the sound i'll use the most)
     4: Overdrive + Boost - main drive sound with a bit more saturation for the CHUGZ
     5: Boost + Delay + Reverb - the effects patch.

Its all running into the Marshall 2525C with Celestion Creamback Neo. My guitar of choice is a PRS Mira X, pickups are PRS Dragons, only other modifications are the Gotoh locking machine heads and the Shadow pickup ring tuner. Settings are as in the below picture. Hopefully i can do some vids and recording with it next week.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    Ive always fancied one of these - dirt cheap at Thomann now ;)