What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
Rich and the boys are back..
So what do you reckon?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Been listening to the album a lot - I like it. Nice to hear some Crowes type material where you can actually make out the lyrics, unlike latter day Chris, live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Really wanted to like it but....not feeling it. Chris Robinson's dismissive "Black Crowes tribute band" dig is about right. 
    Not terrible, but equally not quite there

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
    John Hogg's is a fine singer, but not a showman..which is what this band needs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm liking it . 
    edited July 2017
    Finally heard the album.
    Hmmm...

I don't dislike it, but I don't love it either.  Seems a really odd concept - They have 1 original, studio song, then a load of covers played live in front of a studio audience. Including a couple of Crowes tunes seems especially ill-judged, IMO.
    Works fine as a "proof of concept" that they are a capable band, not so successful as an album in its own right.
    First off, not sold on Hogg's singing..but it's even more odd that he doesn't sing the whole album.
    Secondly, the instrumental felt very pedestrian. Where was the stretching out, playing with dynamics, light and shade? In fact, "pedestrian" is a good word for the whole album.

Chris Robinson's "This Magnificent Distance" is the only album that either brother has done outside of the Crowes that I have really liked. I am hoping the Magpie Salute come back next year with a corker of a debut album proper. Fingers crossed!

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I've been underwhelmed by what I've heard. Was expecting a "proper" studio album and this has a real cobbled together feel. I actually quite like John Hogg's vocals but they're going to have to come up with some decent songs to win me over.
    As for Chris, I like most of his solo stuff and agree that Magnificent Distance is a cracking album and I'm guessing Paul Stacey's contribution was a lot to do with that.
    The Brotherhood thing started well for me but they seem to have the opposite problem to the 'Salute in producing too much stuff. Trouble is that it's increasingly middle-of-the-road, boogie-woogie-shuffly in nature. I didn't mind the odd Grateful Dead facsimile when there were tracks like Vibration and Light Suite but it seems to have tipped too far into the good time Californian stoner genre of late. Still, full marks for him getting out there and making a few albums.
    Just noticed this inside the album artwork:

"The Magpie Salute, and this record in particular, is about honoring the past. Honoring what we all have accomplished musically. Honoring our friendships, but perhaps more importantly building towards making a new record with all new original material. It's all about where we go from here."

See, to me that just seems like a really naff premise on which to release an album. Do all that sh*t in private and come back to us when you have the all-original album ready!

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I've enjoyed Rich and Marc's solo stuff more than the CRB stuff. I liked Trigger Hippy also.

This has a "too many cooks" feel for me... why do they need a third guitarist? Hopefully the new stuff will be more focused. 

The other unfortunate thing is I was made aware of Marcus King at the same time as this - so I've not been giving the same attention. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited July 2017
    The other unfortunate thing is I was made aware of Marcus King at the same time as this - so I've not been giving the same attention. 
    You, Sir, have just enriched my life. What a damn funky player! (...and he looks about 13) Brilliant band too. 

What's odd is that I recently watched his Rig Rundown on YouTube. I wasn't aware of him but can only assume I'd been directed to it as I was searching for stuff on the 64 Memphis ES345 reissue (I subsequently bought one). I must confess that I didn't check out any of his music - big mistake!

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    It was @equalsql s fault! We were down the pub and he casually mentioned that I "might like him"!!

Did anyone see TMS (not the cricket commentators!) at Stamford Bridge? I'd hoped they'd have been booked into the same venues as Rich was at least. I suppose it's an expensive tour with having 20 odd people on stage :) All that for just one venue.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
    It was @equalsql s fault! We were down the pub and he casually mentioned that I "might like him"!!

Did anyone see TMS (not the cricket commentators!) at Stamford Bridge? I'd hoped they'd have been booked into the same venues as Rich was at least. I suppose it's an expensive tour with having 20 odd people on stage :) All that for just one venue.
    Lol @mudslide73 , I thought you'd bite. I picked up his album Soul Insight the other day and it's been my houses sountrack ever since  :)
    edited July 2017
    In which case, I also owe @equalsql a big thank you! 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Bit of a bump from beyond but I really like, very much what I expected but that's not a bad thing. If it aint broke and all that. I did wonder if the track Omission was actually a new single from the band Reef though, have another listen whilst thinking of Gary Stringer and see if you hear it too!