Action at the nut end

What's Hot
So I made a kit a while back (a long way back) that I've neglected and have done nothing with because I don't know what to do about the action.

It's very high. At the nut end, it's 3mm at the low E and 3.5mm at the high E. That's with the plastic nut that came with the kit. However, I've looked at other nuts that are available and they all seem to have the same dimensions, so apart from the quality of materials/manufacture, I can't see how they'd alter the action in any way to the one I have.

I don't have any nut files, but even I did, it could wind up looking like one of the forum's favourite bodger's jobs (I don't want to get all that started again, so let's try to leave him out of it if we can).

What could I do? There's nothing wrong with the neck or fingerboard, they're nice and slim and feel fine, so I'm a bit reluctant to file down anything to lower the base of the nut.

So 1) does anyone know how I can do something about it? Or 2) does anyone know where I could find a nut that's a better fit, perhaps?

Any help welcome, thanks.

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    I think nuts are generally supplied a bit high with the idea you file them to the correct height - it's easier and preferable to remove material than to build it up.

If you're not confident then it shouldn't be too expensive to get it professionally fitted and filed, I'd guess around £40 but it'll depend on what people charge in your local area.
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    If you can take the nut out easily and it is high overall, you just sand down the bottom of it rather than deepen the string slots
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

If the slots are fine but the nut is too tall just knock it off - remove material from the bottom then stick it back on. You are unlikely to find a nut that just works perfectly out the box - all will require fettling.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    If you intend setting up your own guitars in the future, invest in a set of decent nut files
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    You will always need to file the slots no matter what - unless you're incredibly lucky, no pre-cut nut will ever give the perfect height on all six strings - the tolerance range is too fine.

You can lower the existing one until it's within the range where a small amount of filing of the grooves will make it perfect - you need to file or sand the bottom down until it's about half a mm too high, maybe less if you're careful and check it often so you don't go too far.

You also don't need expensive nut files - you can make ones that will do the job from cut-down, hammered and sanded junior hacksaw blades, but they do need a bit more skill to use than proper files.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, thanks for that gents. I was a bit reluctant to try to sand down a bit of plastic, I'm worried it'll be too scruffy (because of my workmanship, I need say).

I'll give the slots a bit of a go as well, if I can find something to do them with.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16679

what he said.   Taking off the bottom will get you close, but  you really need to do the final adjustments once its in situ

This is the biggest issue with almost all kit guitars I have seen.   People assume the kit is not very good, or they have done something wrong.  Either way it ends up in a corner not getting played.  

People bring me failed kit builds on a fairly regular basis, most need a bit of a fret dress too, but that's just to get the most out of them.   Almost all of them need the nut cutting properly before they stand any chance of playing in tune

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited June 2017
    The usual technique to assess nut slot depth involves holding down a string between the third and fourth frets. The length of string between the third fret and the nut slot should clear the first fret. Unless you play very aggressively, it is acceptable if the string just touches the second fret.

It helps to use a fingerboard radius gauge. 

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Nut_and_Saddle_Setup_and_Repair/Using_Feeler_Gauges_to_Control_Nut_Slot_Depth.html

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.