Car Trackers

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
I know bugger-all about them, but wonder if there's a reasonably-priced one out there to fit to my Lotus. Anyone had any experience with them? I did hear there might be one you can track with a mobile phone, but some of them seem to be silly money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I saw a thing on TV where a guy bought a cheap phone and hid it in the boot of his wife's car. It was set up so he could track the location. He found her at some hotel with a lover, and ran in and stabbed the guy to death. Cheap tracker. I think he paid extra for the knife though.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Have a look at Rewire Security:

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/

Not long ago I bought one of their 104 Pro trackers with a SIM card and a year's subscription to GPS Live which is a cloud based tracking system accessed from PC, Mac, tablets and smart phones. The whole package cost about £140 which is a lot cheaper than many tracker systems. It works well and was accepted by my motor insurance company, although for a smaller premium discount than you can get using one of the expensive trackers.

After the first year there is an annual charge of £20 for the GPS Live service and also an annual charge for the SIM card. It's all on their web site.

The 104 Pro can run off its rechargeable battery (lasts about a month) or can be wired in permanently to the car's 12v electrics.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Just keep it on a chain, like a good old fashioned wallet. 

However, caraudiodirect, and caraudiosecurity have always given me good service. Unsure if they actually sell trackers, but I would have thought so. 

An installer called bloomz (ask for james, tell him Paul the metalhead with the Megane recommended him) maybe worth a shot if you are local to the Essex area. Used him a few times for various things, scoping amps, hardwiring dashcams etc. 

Also a forum called Talkaudio might be worth checking out too. Used to know a lot of knowledgable guys on there! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380

(I wanted a YT clip but couldn't find it on there)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

I kind of think if someone is going to steal your car, you can only put so much in their way. A while ago, I read of a bloke in Essex that had one of the final edition Ford Capri 280 limited edition jobs. Despite it being in his locked garage and immobilised, it got nicked. The cops recovered it, so the bloke put extra locks on the garage door. It got nicked again. He then took to chaining the rear axle to a fixing point in the garage, and it got nicked once more.

I wonder whether risking the damage while they circumnavigate the alarm systems and rip wiring out, smash windows etc, that the tracking thing might not be a good idea. I'm not suggesting I leave the car outside, unlocked, with the keys in it, just that some basic security and finding out where it's gone to could be a good alternative.