Sending a hollow body without case

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Jalapeno said:
    I wouldn't, but if he insists only on the basis that it's at his risk.
    It makes no difference what he says. If it arrives damaged and he claims to Ebay, he *will* be refunded.

Also, if he paid by Paypal, under no circumstances allow him to collect it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    blueskunk said:
    Thanks guys. Made me feel a wee bit better for "letting down" the buyer.  

Gonna refun him later. If he gives me bad feedback I can always respond saying it was crazy to send without a case. 

Peace 
    You're not letting anyone down. He shouldn't have bid on it he wasn't prepared to collect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    Little update folks. Firstly thanks for all the advice. 

I explained the dilemma to him and got he typical response back lol. 

I played cool and explained it would be me who is fooked if this guitar is damaged in the post and I can't risk that. 

He cooled and had agreed to buy a hardcase and get it delivered to me before I'll post it :)

thansk again all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    On this topic- I baked a cake earlier and want to send it to my mum.
    Will it be transported to Australia if I hold it up to the webcam?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'd still not ship it to him in a hardcase, you specified pickup only, if he receives a damaged guitar in a hardcase he will claim money back and you will be screwed trying (and probably failing) to claim off the postal "insurance".
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11942
    I sent one in loads of boxes and padding, was OK
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    edited June 2017
    I sold my old Sheraton on ebay without a case but in a box that came with a Dot I'd bought. Every available space in the box was crammed with bubblewrap, and they have laminated maple necks (stronger than the usual Epi necks I suppose). It was a terribly rainy day and the post office refused to take it because it was too big, so I had to walk for half an hour to a branch that would. Parts of the box were becoming rather soggy by the time I got there. A woman had bought it as a Christmas present for her son and was concerned that it wouldn't arrive in time - it was getting too close to Christmas for me to turn round and start again in a day or two with another box... It arrived OK but I wouldn't do it now.

There was also the time I bought an acoustic from Thomann, and wisely decided to buy the recommended case for protection. DPD driver turns up with two big boxes, guitar in one and empty case in the other...

I would refund the buyer, what with ebay's siding with the buyer in recent years.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    So what would happen if you just kept saying collection only.

On what grounds do eBay have to refund him as he purcashed it without postage being an option.

Surely he should have to collect it and all you need to do is have it there for him to collect.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3767
    As @ICBM said, collection only and PayPal is a recipe for disaster. Even if you post it. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    octatonic said:
    On this topic- I baked a cake earlier and want to send it to my mum.
    Will it be transported to Australia if I hold it up to the webcam?
    It worked for cakefarts.com.