Sell me a "workshop" amp... (Sell me your old iPhone please)

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72454
    Jack_ said:

Is there something equally small that does have a speaker? Or is something the size of the Micro Crush the best I'm going to get with a speaker?
    The Roland Micro Cube is probably the best option between the size of the Micro Crush and the typical 1x8" 15W amps, tuner position notwithstanding.

The Micro Crush does sound hilariously awful…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    Just use your phone.  I have a jack adapter going into my iPhone with JamUp pro ( nice amp sims and tuner) that then goes to small Bluetooth speaker. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Jack_ said:

Is there something equally small that does have a speaker? Or is something the size of the Micro Crush the best I'm going to get with a speaker?
    A bit left-field maybe? ......

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fluid_audio_strum_buddy.htm
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

How about the Fender G Dec 30...yes, I have one in the classified LOL

Worth checking out the YT demos...the tuner is on the screen face front & is a sliding scale line 60/40/20/0/20/40/60 sort of thing....plenty of amp/effects tones of use it with the FUSE software and use the tuner on the laptop. It also has the SD card and aux in for playing other devices/music through. Small footprint, very easy to carry. Very under rated practice amp if you ask me. At 30w it can go loud enough too should you wanna test something at higher volume.

Have original box etc. It is in as new condition & does look like a typical Fender amp so not a monstrosity etc

If you wanna know more pm yr email addy & I'll send pics/info etc

• Yamaha THR was my first thought. Tuner works fine & output is good too.
    It's great for listening to music through using the aux too. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I wouldn't use any of these inbuilt tuners for testing intonation though. Maybe a Clip On headstock tuner would work better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    I'd always take a silver/blackface champ as a workshop amp.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    If tuning accuracy is important, you won't go far wrong with a Peterson.

My 'stuck record' suggestion for an amplifier is a Pignose. Absolutely no frills, the Pignose will reveal the difference between pickups very clearly.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Jack_ said:
    The placement of the tuner on the Micro Cube is naff though, I don't want the amp on the ground beneath me, I want it in front of me on my desk/workbench.

Moderate quality tuner (can you afford a cheap Korg Pitchblack or similar large display?) wired to a VERY cheap amp of any kind, then put them both on a wall mount or shelf with one curly guitar cable hanging down.

I'm sure you could DIY something like the above.

I'm suggesting this because you did say the tuner was more important than the amp sound quality...

• WezVWezV Frets: 16733

If the tuner is more important then the amp, you will need to get separate items.

I have a THR, the tuner is okay but I wouldn't ever use it for assembly or set-up work. Its a close enough for rock and roll kinda tuner.   I have a person stroboflip and its a whole different league.     Sometimes I change from the Peterson to the THR for a reality check, the Peterson's accuracy can be distracting if you have a guitar that won't quite intonate perfectly.

The phone suggestion is a good one.   I purchased the stroboflip a week before they released the App version at 1/20th the price  :(

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Can a phone app achieve high levels of precision? Any recommendations for an input device for an Android phone?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    Peterson claim theirs is just as accurate as the full size tuner, but I am now sure how the input method affects that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'd much rather a proper input than using the phones microphone.

iRig 2 looks like the best option? There's loads of choices for iPhone, but very few that support Android.

Is it possible to get the device thing, which looks incredibly simple, for less? Loads of eBay sellers in China sell replacement adapters - but they're all iPhone.

A lot of paying for iRig 2 appears to be the software, I only really need the device.
    Even iRig 2 looks like it won't do the job - apparently there are latency issues with Android, so you need to get the iRig UA, which is about £60.  :s
    So I bought the iRig UA from Amazon Warehouse.

Reviews are very mixed, but it appears to be the only even half decent option for Android devices, so we shall wait and see.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72454
    Jack_ said:
    I'd much rather a proper input than using the phones microphone.

iRig 2 looks like the best option? There's loads of choices for iPhone, but very few that support Android.

Is it possible to get the device thing, which looks incredibly simple, for less? Loads of eBay sellers in China sell replacement adapters - but they're all iPhone.

A lot of paying for iRig 2 appears to be the software, I only really need the device.
    If you use the phone's microphone then you don't need to have an extra cable trailing or a physical device. There is no impact on accuracy as long as the volume is loud enough for the phone to pick it up clearly.

That's actually exactly what I do - I use the TC Polytune app on the iPhone, although they don't do an Android one... but if there's a Peterson one I'd get that. I just keep the phone on the workbench and it picks up perfectly well from the old Peavey Special amp behind me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

iPhones have a much better microphone than Android apparently, all the reviews for the Peterson Android app say it's a shadow of the iOS app - at this rate it might be better for me to just get an old iPhone to use as a glorified tuner.
    Just stuck a WTB thread in the classifieds, but this forum probably gets more hits, so I'll put it here as well.

Has anyone got an old iPhone they're willing to sell me? Cheap as possible really, thanks.
    Bump for exposure, anyone got an old iPhone they would sell me? And iRig if they want rid also? Thanks!
    edited June 2017
    iPhone sorted thanks to @Teyeplayer - I'll get iRig 2 from Amazon Warehouse.

I'll feedback on the quality of the tuner and apps etc.