Mystery string breaking problem - any ideas?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited June 2017
    Update
    Having dropped JHS an e-mail about the problem I've just heard from Grover who are being ever so kind and are going to (hopefully) send me a replacement tuner.  I say hopefully because the rotomatics model used by Yamaha seems to be a little different to the round button style tuning pegs on the Grover website (they are squarer in shape).  I've sent Grover some pictures, so fingers crossed they can source the right one.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    Had this on a couple of Fenders. Would happen just standing in the stand and in both cases was the high E.

On the Strat was a burr in the string ferrule and on the Tele  was never ID'd, so I stuck a 9 B on the high E and it is fine.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Voxman said:
    Grovers very kindly sent me a new matching tuner that I'm going to put on this weekend. 
    Great customer service 
    rico said:
    Voxman said:
    Grovers very kindly sent me a new matching tuner that I'm going to put on this weekend. 
    Great customer service 
    Yup, really very good of them. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Not sure this is at all relevant. But do you wipe the strings when you've finished playing? My guitar tech pointed out to me that rust may cause problems. He pointed out in the case kid some orange areas which is in fact rust from the salty wet strings and then the guitar sits in it until the next time you open it up. As mentioned earlier try leaving it out of the case as much as possible after you've replaced strings etc?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Not sure this is at all relevant. But do you wipe the strings when you've finished playing? My guitar tech pointed out to me that rust may cause problems. He pointed out in the case kid some orange areas which is in fact rust from the salty wet strings and then the guitar sits in it until the next time you open it up. As mentioned earlier try leaving it out of the case as much as possible after you've replaced strings etc?
    Yes, every time - & on all my guitars. I've been playing a while so have learned to take good care of all my gear. I'll put the new tuner on & hopefully it will solve the problem.  
    Swapped the tuner over this evening, put on (another) brand new D'Addario 009...fingers crossed!
    Yay! - 12 days later, my 611VFM has been well played & kept in its case, and no broken strings.  By George (or should that be Chuck!), I think the replacement tuner has done the job!  :)