SORTED - HELP: Need to re-drill screw holes for a new pick guard

What's Hot
samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
edited July 2017 in Making & Modding
I've recently purchased a new gold anodised guard for my MIJ Jazzmaster, however the screw holes appear to be out enough to warrant filling the existing holes and drilling new ones.

I've had a look on recent threads but couldn't find anything in the way of help on this subject (by all means prove me wrong and link me to it). Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on what tools I'll need/how to do it?

Looking to fill the existing holes too, preferably.

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Why are you looking to fill the existing holes?   I only do this if they overlap.

if they are in a totally different place I just allow there to be 2 sets of holes under the guard in case I decide to swap back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    WezV said:
    Why are you looking to fill the existing holes?   I only do this if they overlap.

if they are in a totally different place I just allow there to be 2 sets of holes under the guard in case I decide to swap back
    That's a good point, I don't think they overlap too much (there may be one whereby I'll need to refill as it definitely overlaps, thus the question!)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    If you have one which has a partial overlap or is too close to the new position you will need to fill it by packing the hole as tightly as you can with wood glue and toothpicks - drive them in with a small hammer to make sure they're tight. If you're moving the hole (as opposed to repairing a stripped thread, which doesn't need them packed as tightly either) you need to wait until the glue is fully dry before drilling a new pilot hole and putting the screw in.

I would fill any hole which is within about 1/8" of the new position, or the screw will tend to try to break through into the old hole.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    All of the above advice plus, after your drill new pickguard screw holes, countersink them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks for the advice all! I'm going to have a go at it today and see how it all goes, I'll keep you posted!
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Wood glue and toothpicks seconded. Works perfectly every time. 
    edited June 2017
    So I decided to have a go this afternoon, and all in all it worked pretty well! I ended up not refilling the current holes so that I could swap and change guards at will.

If you're interested, here's a lil snap of how it looks after changing the guard!

http://i.imgur.com/QhmNUFW.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Looks a good fit
    Gagaryn said:
    Looks a good fit
    Thanks! Underneath it's a lil bit of a Frankenstein job, but it looks great with it on!