OKNOTOK

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27206
Anyone else picked this up?

I've heard a big chunk of the second disc already, but it's the closest thing anyone will get to "The Bends 2". First half is honestly quietly rubbish. The second half is better because it has Polyethylene and Pearly on it.

Anyway, OK Computer is still fantastic and I'll listen to the remaster later. I assume it's very light-touch tidy-up rather than any big changes.
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2017
    I had all the CD singles when they first came out (and the original album of course) and then the special edition that came out a few years back with the second disc of B-sides and a few live tracks.....so of course I've still gone ahead and bought this for the couple of extra tracks (I Promise, Man of War and Lift).

Maybe I should have got the OK Computer mug as well ;-)

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    On vinyl at least the remaster sounds phenomenal - not a huge change because the original sounded great anyway, light brush strokes and all that, but you won't be dissapointed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The remaster is brilliant - clearer without changing the vibe of the original

I actually really like the bonus tracks - Lift is stunning
    Stop crying, start buying
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Yeah and it's great.  No wonder OK Computer is the highest rated album on rateyourmusic.com.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I;ve only listend on Spotify so far, not the best way to judge a remaster! A great album. Saw them on tour for it, Manchester Arena, with DJ Shadow on support. Couple of years before I saw them at Leeds Town & Country touring The Bends, with Sparklehorse supporting. That was one very good gig, up close and personal with two superb bands.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    Snap said:
    I;ve only listend on Spotify so far, not the best way to judge a remaster! A great album. Saw them on tour for it, Manchester Arena, with DJ Shadow on support. Couple of years before I saw them at Leeds Town & Country touring The Bends, with Sparklehorse supporting. That was one very good gig, up close and personal with two superb bands.
    How annoying. I saw them at Reading Rivermead in the September after the album came out. Support were called Laika, and they were shite. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

A friend of Mrs_bob bought this for her- we weren't going to bother since we've got the album (which already sounds great) and at least some of the singles so there wasn't much new stuff.

Amazing considering what an innovative record OK Computer is, and how fresh it still sounds that most of what's on the bonus disc has aged really badly. Palo Alto in particular sounds like Blur wrote new lyrics for Zoo Station (new toy, Jonny? I'd never have guessed), and Lift is so wannabe-Buckley it hurts, but How I Made My Millions is a couple of electo-derp noises away from sounding right at home on Kid A. Wonderful to hear Young Thom Yorke singing though. You remember. This guy:

Image result for thom yorke 90s

Lyrics that mean something, not being constantly mangled by Laptop Jonny (who was only just starting to stray from being Guitar Jonny), and such a voice. Don't get me wrong, he still has a fantastic voice, but it was striking how different twentysomething snarly, angry rock singer Thom sounds to nearly-fifty electro-noodle Thom.

I remember how at the time it came out I was kinda disappointed that OK Computer wasn't The Bends, Vol.2. Judging by the stuff on the second disc, which IMO really wouldn't have stood out against the Britpop/rock crowd in '97 it was probably better that way. It's actually quite striking how they went from those Bends/Iron Lung EP sounding songs to what's on OK Computer in the space of a year.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27206
    @english_bob You've summed up my feelings perfectly. While there are a couple of tracks that I don't dislike, there isn't a single one that wouldn't have made OKC worse for their inclusion.

I think it's pretty clear that the band knew making the Bends vol2 would've resulted in "The Bends Less Good", and thank god. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    @english_bob You've summed up my feelings perfectly. While there are a couple of tracks that I don't dislike, there isn't a single one that wouldn't have made OKC worse for their inclusion.

I think it's pretty clear that the band knew making the Bends vol2 would've resulted in "The Bends Less Good", and thank god. 

I think the official line at the time was "screw you, corporate overlords, you want The Bends again, so we're going to do something completely different", but I'm sure in the quiet isolation of their pig shed, Radiohead listened to playbacks of those songs and knew they were making "The Bends Less Good".