I've got a crazy idea...

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26589
edited June 2017 in Making & Modding
...well, "crazy" by my conservative standards, at least.

There are two guitars that have always held a fascination for me - Gilmour's black Strat because of how it looks, and the Washburn N4 because of its pure practicality.

So...why not combine the two?

My idea sits thusly:

- Grab a knockoff N4 from AliExpress (~£200) because there's an enormous chance of me fucking it up
- Sand off the decals, 'cos it ain't a Washburn or a real SEC
- Use a router to change it from HH to "swimming pool"
- Expand the control cavity a bit to acommodate a 5-way switch
- Make a black scratchplate in roughly a Strat shape (accounting for the much smaller N4 body)
- Stain the body really dark (don't like lacquer finishes)
- Get 3 x white Lace Sensors
- Assemble
- Admire handiwork

Anybody spot any flaws in my plan?
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26589
    Yep, I've spotted that...it is, in fact, a flaw in the plan - since none of them make maple-necked N4s except those black ones.

That's great because it ostensibly saves me the job of staining it; however, it also means I have to replace all of the gold hardware 'cos I can't stand it.
    <space for hire>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited June 2017
    I think it's a great idea, could you make it happen please?
    I don't think theres a huge cock up factor involved, most tedious would be designing and cutting the scratchplate
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    How good are these N4 ? Ethics aside it seems tempting.
    A few flaws in the plan might be :
    - the tremolo which is probably a piece of junk that doesn't stay in tune ?
    So you'll have to find a replacement, which could be expensive and / or difficult if the dimensions are non standard.
    - What are the neck specs - are they anything like the real N4 ? The site has no details, personally if it turned up to be a 40mm nut with a 7.5" radius I'd be well pissed off - unlikely but you never know. 
    lysander said:
    So you'll have to find a replacement, which could be expensive and / or difficult if the dimensions are non standard.
    - What are the neck specs - are they anything like the real N4 ? The site has no details, personally if it turned up to be a 40mm nut with a 7.5" radius I'd be well pissed off - unlikely but you never know. 
    I have absolutely no idea, to be honest. I'm banking on needing to do some work with the neck to get it how I like it, though.

It's probably for the best that I get the black one with gold hardware, because you're right: the hardware's almost guaranteed to be junk. I'd imagine that a certain amount of work will also be necessary to get the stuff to fit, too.

Really, the point of the project is for me to get a little bit of experience with woodworking tools and sorting out dodgy fretwork. My budget goes something like this:

£200 - Guitar
    £130-ish - Lace Sensors (second hand)
    £150 - hardware
    £100 - tools (probably a Dremel-esque thing and a plunge router thingy for it, and a set of files)

So about £500-600. I'll guarantee that the guitar won't be worth that much when I'm done with it, but the skills will be.
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Sounds like hassle until you said you wanted to use it as a learning project.  In that case, why not give it a try, at least the parts would still be worth something afterwards if the guitar doesn't work out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    lysander said:
    I have absolutely no idea, to be honest. I'm banking on needing to do some work with the neck to get it how I like it, though.

It's probably for the best that I get the black one with gold hardware, because you're right: the hardware's almost guaranteed to be junk. I'd imagine that a certain amount of work will also be necessary to get the stuff to fit, too.

Really, the point of the project is for me to get a little bit of experience with woodworking tools and sorting out dodgy fretwork. My budget goes something like this:

£200 - Guitar
    £150 - hardware
    £100 - tools (probably a Dremel-esque thing and a plunge router thingy for it, and a set of files)

So about £500-600. I'll guarantee that the guitar won't be worth that much when I'm done with it, but the skills will be.
    Sounds good, though you will need a real router if you intend to re route the guitar, plus some templates. Dremel won't make a dent and will end up frustrating and dangerous
    I would budget £200-300 for that - IMO the very last tool you want to be cheap and nasty is a hand held router.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    digitalscream said:
    I might be able to assist with this. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Well, bollocks. I've just been reminded of the fact that we're redecorating the whole of the ground floor of the house in September, which means that this is basically put off until next year.

Smeg.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17614
    tFB Trader
    Based on your previous comment this might be moot, but I think some of these Chinese shops will do a bit of customisation for you if you get in touch.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Can't comment on the specifics, but I can say with some confidence that a Washburn EC29 with the active shredbastard pickups and wiring replaced by vintage style passive stuff (Gibson Burstbucker at the bridge end, Seymour Duncan  Antiquity at the neck end) makes a very fine, surprisingly versatile guitar so the underlying concept is definitely sound!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Go for it! 
  • ADPADP Frets: 184

Or you could buy a Washburn N5.

If you still want to go the DIY route, I have a couple of brand-new N5 scratchplates - one silver and one gold.

ADP said:

Or you could buy a Washburn N5.

If you still want to go the DIY route, I have a couple of brand-new N5 scratchplates - one silver and one gold.

Thanks, but I'll pass - I really don't like the N5 scratchplate shape. The straight edge and the bit around the controls just look weird to me. I'll be going for a Strat-style scratchplate, obviously adjusted for the much smaller body of the N-series.
    <space for hire>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Agreed, that scratchlate is apalling...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll