Advice/ Help needed - logistics !

What's Hot
jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
I think I have managed to track down an amp I am after but the amp is in Newcastle area and I am in Surrey.

Can anyone suggest a reliable courier that won't cost the earth and carries proper insurance or alternatively a way of getting the amp to me that doesn't involve a 600 + mile round trip ?

Or any other solution?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Honestly I'd make the trip to ensure the thing is as described and that it works.  Yeah it's an entire day to collect - but the potential hassle of something going wrong with it in shipping, or it not working as described and having to deal with it privately - especially if you have no eBay/PayPal protection... it's kind of the lesser of two evils IMO/IME
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    Honestly I'd make the trip to ensure the thing is as described and that it works.  Yeah it's an entire day to collect - but the potential hassle of something going wrong with it in shipping, or it not working as described and having to deal with it privately - especially if you have no eBay/PayPal protection... it's kind of the lesser of two evils IMO/IME
    Fair comment. Not sure I can be arsed though.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    long way to go for a peavey bandit :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    When I lived in Guildford, I'd have been too scared to go oop north.
     :) 
    Sassafras said:
    When I lived in Guildford, I'd have been too scared to go oop north.
     :) 
     =) 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    It's always going to be through the distribution network (careless handlers/sorters/loaders/drivers) unless you pay for a private courier to do it door to door. That will cost you at least £150

As long as it's head/smallish combo under 25 to 30kg a company like parcel force or TNT will cost around £30-£50

Another option is palletised transport. Particularly if you looking at transporting 4x12 cabs or 2x12 combos over 50kg. Again, it's through a distro network but the item being on a pallet means it doesn't get chucked about. Have a look online, you'll find firms that do economy 48H services for as little as £40. Still, make sure it's packed well, labelled well and say's things like "Fragile" and "Do Not Stack" on it. Confirm the insurance when you book it too. Make sure the seller is fully aware of the transport method and explain it all to the agent you book it with.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited June 2017
    I sent a boxed Fender Deville for £23 with UPS through Interparcel.

Got there in perfect condition but a large amount of that was down to it being packed in it's massively thick original box, shipped upside down and with the polystrene inside holding it in place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Alnico and @Hoof. It is a relatively small 1x12 combo but I don't think the seller has original packing. I'm now veering towards a half-way meet if seller is agreeable.