Ignorance

What's Hot
Excuse the above - 

I've always enjoyed the sound of sitar, tambura, tabal's etc - in music from genre's like dance, psych, prog, hip hop etc - but I wouldn't mind actually getting into some 'proper source' material - I know that's a lame and potentially offensive description... I think I am talking about Indian folk music?

Any idea's were to start? Apologies if my concept of authentic is offensive....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12419
    Ravi Shankar is the obvious one for authentic style sitar. His daughter Anoushka is still playing but I don't know much of her material. 

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan did Qwali singing (spiritual improvised singing) with his own band. He did a really good modern style collaboration with Michael Brook called Mustt Mustt. If you want more authentic there's a good album called Devotional Songs.  

Some of John McLaughlin's work with Shakti is lovely, although that's got a modern jazz twist rather than authentic folk style. 

Thats about the the sum of my knowledge of Indian music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @boogieman thats more than I knew before - I'll start with Devotional songs.  
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    edited June 2017
    Thank you, @boogieman! I have a recording from a group named 'Talented Trio' (and they are, as far as I can tell!), I believe they are British. This thread reminds me to go and get some more authentic music of that kind. 
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited June 2017
    Nitin Sawhney is pretty accessible.

Dunno if it counts as source in your sense.  
    (The best Indian misic I ever heard was on a radio programme. The bass was MASSIVE. Never found it again. But I digress.)

Edit:spelling

• Veganic said:
    Nitin Sawhney is pretty accessible.

Dunno if it counts as source in your sense.  
    (The best I ever heard was on a radio programme. The bass was MASSIVE. Never found it again. But I digress.)

Edit:spelling
    Let me know if you ever find out what that was! 

Any recommendations regarding Nitin Sawhney's records? 
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Introducing... is the obvious place to start.  Probably not folky enough though.

I will have to find that other stuff. Middle of the night Public Service radio in the States, pre-google. Deep bass groove and all sorts of percussion..
  • Veganic said:
    . Middle of the night Public Service radio in the States, pre-google. Deep bass groove and all sorts of percussion..
    Sounds deeply appealing 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12940
    A good place to start might be to check out some of the radio shows on the BBC Asian Network. 
  • A good place to start might be to check out some of the radio shows on the BBC Asian Network. 
    Yeah - I think in general I need to get a proper radio - I don't have access to 6. music which I am told is very good. 
  • @Veganic just been listening to some Nitin Swaheny - its good stuff - I like it - he's got some ambient/electronic stuff in there
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12940
    A good place to start might be to check out some of the radio shows on the BBC Asian Network. 
    Yeah - I think in general I need to get a proper radio - I don't have access to 6. music which I am told is very good. 
    ---6music is excellent. You can always just use the online player via a browser.