Yamaha spares - oh dear

What's Hot
SporkySporky Frets: 28665
I need a replacement PSU for a Magic Stomp and for a UD Stomp.

So... I email Yamaha Spares, asking if they can confirm the respective PSU model numbers and whether they can supply them direct. Two days later they reply pointing me to a company called Sontec, but not telling me what the model numbers are.

I email Sontec, explaining that I don't know the model number but need one PSU for a Magic Stomp and one for a UD Stomp. They reply after an hour or two saying that the replacement mainboard for a DM (whatever that is) costs £224.

Great. This, I think, is why people buy third party PSUs - the manufacturers just don't care and farm it off to incompetent third parties.
"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Magic stomp and ud stomp use 12v ac 1000ma so unless I'm mistaken you want a PA130a. The original was an ac10. The pa is the latest version. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    Ace - thanks Ross. :)

Is that something that a common-or-garden guitar-type shop would be able to get hold of?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Not sure to be honest. Certainly get them online. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Hmm - the PA130a seems to be 750mA? Is that enough?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72599
    What's the plug at the pedal end like? I have a large number of spare power supplies… although 12VAC 1000mA is one of the rarer ones I think I may have one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Standard 2.1mm barrel I believe.

I've tried three different PSUs I have here (all 12v AC, 1A) and both the Magic and the UD power up - menus are all fine - but don't produce sound. I seem to recall that happening when the original PSU went wiggy on the UD, but I had a replacement it worked with.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6190
    Doesn't help you, but it's such an unnecessary faff with these power supplies. It's a delight when you get something that was designed with this issue in mind; the Linnstrument accepts any AC/DC/polarity and voltages from 7.5-12V.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
    Not sure if this is helpful, but 12VAC, 1000mA is the same spec for the EHX English Muff'n, which is a pedal I've used for years. And HotRox sell the PSUs for these as spares. I got one about 5years ago for my pedal, and it's still going strong. It has a weird 2 pin connector though, so you'd have to replace this with a standard barrel...
    Sporky said:

I've tried three different PSUs I have here (all 12v AC, 1A) and both the Magic and the UD power up - menus are all fine - but don't produce sound. I seem to recall that happening when the original PSU went wiggy on the UD, but I had a replacement it worked with.
    Do you have a Variac? Sometimes these things are quite sensitive to power supply voltage - I know they shouldn't be, but sometimes they are.

I have a big silly Boss tuner with a very high current draw which won't power up when it senses slightly too high a voltage - which is what tends to happen when you connect it to a poorly-regulated supply and first turn it on… once it's running the draw is enough to bring the supply voltage down to the proper level, but of course it won't power up in order to do that!

If you can test it by turning the supply voltage down a bit that might at least confirm whether the units are working properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I do not, alas. Good idea though.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Ring Sontek.

I needed two clear plastic ring mounts for pots on a Yamaha bass. My feeling was they were never going to have them. 

They found the the ads on their system and emailed me pdfs of the schematics with all the part numbers on.

I picked the ones I needed, they ordered them and they arrived. Exactly what I needed.
    Sporky said:
    I do not, alas. Good idea though.
    Go to France?

Lower mains voltage over there :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The line 6 power supplies for the pods/dl-mm etc work fine with the ud,magic and dg stomps.
    I bought a yamaha dg stomp supply off eBay, it had a small impact on the floor and promptly split in two ! I think I've been through about 5 of those yamaha supplies. 
    I think it's likely that power supplies in general are some of the worst pieces of crap ever manufactured, even ones from otherwise reputable companies.

I have had to get quite good at various solutions to repair them, which is often made unnecessarily difficult by them being impossible to open without breaking them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sontec have replied - they can get then from Germany. £35 plus shipping, and a week.

I'm just trying to sell the Magic for £79. This is ridiculous.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    Fine on the face of it, but I've tried four 12v AC 1A adaptors without success. The pedals power up, controls function but no audio.

Both worked when I got them, but were always fussy about PSUs.
    Is it worth trying some sort of lash-up with a drop resistor to see if it is something to do with the supply regulation?

That's a decent plan. I'll knock something together.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454
    I have a 12V AC 1 amp you can have, it's new but it sounds like something else is wrong

Does it use 12V AC to obtain a duel 12V + - supply for some opamps ? if so you might find the control 5V single supply works but the duel supply doesn't
    www.2020studios.co.uk