Is there a 'Sound of Today'

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4993
Most of the music I listen to was recorded in the 1970s. The Eagles, CCR, country etc. as I like the sounds and the chord choices.

iIs there a sound for 2017, with chord choices that represent now?  And not a rehash of the 1960s or '70s music.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27195
    Easily this (maybe sound of 3 years ago if we're being picky)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

There was a semi-scientific paper that came out a couple of years ago, with the very basic story of the evolution of chord types, etc. in popular songs over the years.

I'm absolutely certain someone here will remember and know where to find it...

It's not "2017" though.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Here's the one I mentioned:

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/2/5/150081

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royopensci/2/5/150081.full.pdf

It's mainly about dynamics, major/minor chords, overall brightness etc.

All a bit theoretical but interesting...

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited June 2017

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No idea. Most of the music I listen to was made in the 90's, or is being made by bands who have been around since the 90's.

I did hear a radio interview recently about a particular chord change or sequence which has become common in many recent pop songs, such as Coldplay, Rhianna etc.

Did I mention the 90's?

• SporkySporky Frets: 28658
    If you want a good example of fairly recent guitar-based pop this is worth a go:

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6526
    I think there is a sound of today, yes...or rather several sounds of today ...but sticking for now to guitar based music, I couldn't begin to put it into words, but I do hear a sound that seems very much of the moment.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    Stick on Radio One and listen for a couple of days. Lots of super clean, super slick pop with synths and the usual scattering of rock and rap music. A lot of actually good sounding vocal performances too, less of the auto tune as effect stuff going on vs a couple of years back. Everything is still super in tune generally but either people are better singers now and or people are better at using tuning software... don't care on a recording if it sounds good. 

This isn't necessarily the sound of 2017 but it's been my favourite pop song so far

If you're looking for nice songs with a guitar check George Ezra. Guys voice is a couple of decades older than his body, I like his stuff.

PS Sikth are awesome.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    George Ezra becomes very tiring after a while - one song, to be exact. Even my daughter went off him very quickly…

The sound of 2017 is definitely not guitar-based, although it quite often does feature guitars - either a very compressed, full clean chord/arpeggio sound or a thick, gritty 'clipped clean' usually. I quite like it, although the compressed clean also gets tiring quickly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4152
    Acoustic pop-folk sung over a faux-military marching drumbeat. 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4319
    edited June 2017

I would personally say that as time has gone on, music has got more segregated between different scenes, so it's very difficult to provide a 'sound of now', unless you are quite specific about what type of music you are interested in.

So many genres, and sub genres, and then personal styles within those sub genres.

It means different things to different people.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to