Vic Chessnut

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
I've been listening to Vic Chessnut this week after one of his tracks came up on my Spotify weekly discovery.

Enjoy his music. Then read his bio. Very sad.

I've only listened to his last album. Can anyone recommend where to start with the others?

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    I'd say you can't go wrong with any of it, but then I'm a big big fan.  

I would start with the West Of Rome and Is The Actor Happy? LPs and see what you make of them both.  WOR is pretty downbeat and lo-fi, but features a sack-load of his best, blackest, bleakest, funniest songs...it also contains my all-time favourite song of his, Lucinda Williams, which chokes me up every time.  ITAH is a lot more polished, with a bigger band, and fuller arrangements...again, a lot of really great songs, highpoint being him and Michael Stipe harmonising on Guilty By Association.  There are standout tracks on all his records beyond those two, but I'd single out the Drunk LP in particular for the track Supernatural.

There's a feature-length documentary about him on youtube (the name escapes me) which is well worth watching.  A huge talent, and even now, a terrible loss.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Cheers @DarnWeight - I think I'm going to like the full band/electric songs more than the acoustic stuff.

I'll try and watch the documentary later...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom