Katana 50 impressions please?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    The 50w has 3 power settings: 50/25/0.5 
    The 100w has 100/50/0.5 

I'm not convinced on the scaling though to be honest. I think the 0.5 is still very loud if you crank it and I've used it with a drummer. 

Definitely the best approach is to have the master set on full then adjust the channel volume to suit. 

Maybe I've never cranked the 0.5w mode but it is quite quiet from my 50w Katana.  Good for home use but I'd never use it for anything else.  

I've not seen any benefit from cranking the master, if anything it sounds a bit overloaded and compressed like that.  Just put the gain, channel volume, and master volume on half and use the power scaling - 25w for practice and 50w for gigs.

The choice between the 50w and 100w is an interesting one.  The 50w is wonderfully small and light - you can carry it on public transport which is brilliant.  In addition to the extra power the 100w does give you a better speaker (and the 50w can flub out at high volumes), effects loop, and the ability to use the four-way footswitch.

Unless you need any of those features, just get the 50w - it's the guitar bargain of the century.  Unless you're going for a >£1k tube amp, the Katana is the sensible choice.  Stuff like the Blues Jr has been obsoleted overnight.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Check this out... Live performance using the 0.5w setting. (See the text below and comments) ... Unbelievable! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Check this out... Live performance using the 0.5w setting. (See the text below and comments) ... Unbelievable! 

Not that unbelievable since it was mic'd up.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i have the 100w 112 combo.  at 0.5 watt its loud enough for home playing, still enough to annoy neighbours if youre that way inclined,  50w loud enough un micced pub gigs. then 100w not really much difference between 50w,. lovely amp, just started using built in effects with the gafc controller.
  • what's the line-out like? I mean could you realistically go to FOH with it? I've found that line-outs and speaker sims tend to suffer a bit.
  • ErjimipeyErjimipey Frets: 1
    Do you need the footswitch to access the floorboard fx? I'm considering this one for my next buy, but I've read so much about the sneaky amps, that I'm curious about them, and I would like to know if they work well with the Kat50... 'cause either I am terribly wrong or I seem to have understood you need the footswitch... 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Erjimipey said:
    Do you need the footswitch to access the floorboard fx? I'm considering this one for my next buy, but I've read so much about the sneaky amps, that I'm curious about them, and I would like to know if they work well with the Kat50... 'cause either I am terribly wrong or I seem to have understood you need the footswitch... 
    The GAFC foot controller doesn't work with the 50w... But you can still programme pedals to the two channels and switch them on and off using the buttons on top. Once you connect it to tone studio, you can make changes and then save them to the amp and it overwrites the channel. I believe you only get 2 channels plus "panel" on the 50 instead of 4.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    what's the line-out like? I mean could you realistically go to FOH with it? I've found that line-outs and speaker sims tend to suffer a bit.
    Good question, I need to try the line out on mine. Unclear whether it's got a speaker sim or not. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    So far the lack of a line out hasn't been an issue for me.  All the gigs I've played that required my signal going to the PA had a soundcrew that mic'd everything.  None of them even asked about a line out.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11768
    Erjimipey said:
    The GAFC foot controller doesn't work with the 50w... But you can still programme pedals to the two channels and switch them on and off using the buttons on top. Once you connect it to tone studio, you can make changes and then save them to the amp and it overwrites the channel. I believe you only get 2 channels plus "panel" on the 50 instead of 4.
    You can use a normal latching foot switch on the Katana 50 to switch channels mid-song if required.

There is a great summary up thread of the pros and cons of each version.  I think it basically comes down to what you want to use it for.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Absolutely awesome, although can be quite bright sounding and a need to dial the treble out. Miles better than anything else of its ilk and price point.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    I'm loving my 50, although no expert by a longway I find I can do most things, i.e tone without buying other pedals etc, the 0.5w setting is great for practising, without having to blows the windows out to get a good sound, well built, sturdy, I love it!!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9677
    edited July 2017
    My main reason for starting this thread was that I was considering replacing my Orange CR60C (mainly because the Katana weighs significantly less). However, after having a play this morning with various guitars and playing about with the gain, volume, and master volume controls (they're quite interactive) I've realised the Orange will actually do everything I want it do. So I've decided to stick with what I've got. Thanks for all your replies.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    My main reason for starting this thread was that I was considering replacing my Orange CR60C (mainly because the Katana weighs significantly less). However, after having a play this morning with various guitars and playing about with the gain, volume, and master volume controls (they're quite interactive) I've realised the Orange will actually do everything I want it do. So I've decided to stick with what I've got. Thanks for all your replies.
    @HAL9000 You say that now, but GAS will hit you again as inevitably as after a baked bean vindaloo! :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9677
    HAL9000 said:
    @HAL9000 You say that now, but GAS will hit you again as inevitably as after a baked bean vindaloo! :)
    Sigh! Sadly, I suspect you're right. However I do know that if I ever sold the Orange I'd regret it very soon after. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    HAL9000 said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Sigh! Sadly, I suspect you're right. However I do know that if I ever sold the Orange I'd regret it very soon after. 
    i understand your feelings. i bought the katana 100 as a replacement for gigging my laney vc30 212, half the weight. although the katana has exceded my expectations and i havnt gigged the laney since i got the katana, im still loath to sell it in case i change my mind, silly i know but  what can i do
    HAL9000 said:
    HAL9000 said:
    i understand your feelings. i bought the katana 100 as a replacement for gigging my laney vc30 212, half the weight. although the katana has exceded my expectations and i havnt gigged the laney since i got the katana, im still loath to sell it in case i change my mind, silly i know but  what can i do
    Keep it. ☺