Prince of tone pedal

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15974

What's it like guys?

Does it stand out from the crowd....is it as good as it's big brother.....or is it mostly just hype?

Do tell

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    It's great for "that" sound ......plenty of distortion there with a variable switch
    You can get so much distortion from it with even a mid power humbucker that I really don't see why anybody actually needs the KING .......pricewise it's a far more sensible option and smaller real estate on the board.
    It can also be quite light-handed as a boosty thing
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I loved it! Never played the kot so I'm not good for comparison. But as a pedal, it's awesome. 

Only sold with the great kemper cull of 2016"
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15974
    Dominic said:
    It's great for "that" sound ......plenty of distortion there with a variable switch
    You can get so much distortion from it with even a mid power humbucker that I really don't see why anybody actually needs the KING .......pricewise it's a far more sensible option and smaller real estate on the board.
    It can also be quite light-handed as a boosty thing

Dom

What is "that" sound....does it have it's own thing going?

tae be or not tae be
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Amazing pedal!! Get one, you wont be dissapointed!

Analog Mike is the Man!!! Anything by Analogman is incredible
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I wasn't massively moved by it. Perfectly good but I doing it had a quite a 'scratchy' sound - a little harsh. I think my brain has been trained on overdrive with a bit more marshally sag and compression - it did a mild overdrive nicely but I thought the distortion was a bit harsh. 
    So hard to describe a sound ........it is quite unique .I wouldn'y describe it as scratchy as mattdavis above has said but it is aggressive when you turn it up
    Halfway between a traditional treble booster and a more modern pedal - I certainly wouldn't agree that it is not Marshally as some would say it has it's roots in the Marshall gov'nor original .......but it doesn't cushion the playing
     to sum up I would say it was great with humbuckers and p90s but it would sound a bit unforgiving and harsh with a tele .
    I should add that I loved it too ..........only gone because of Helix and none of the drives in that are as good
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    I've had one.

It's very good and is a rare pedal that works well in a variety of clean and dirty amps. Currently have a ThorpyFX PK in that role and I think I like it better.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I know it's meant to be marshall-y but it certainly never sounded like any of my Marshalls :-)
    anyway - as ever, there's no objectivity in this kind of discussion - jus whether it works for you. 
    You can buy one for a more 'normal' price and wait than the KoT and will be able to sell on fairly easily - so it's a low risk expenditure to try it out. 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    I have one and love it.  Having the switch to go between OD, boost and distortion gives a lot of variety to your sound.  Must admit to being very surprised at the cost of the King.  Looks to be cheaper to buy two Princes.  Anyway, this one has been on my board for a couple of years now and its not going anywhere.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I have a King, with the external switches where you can (so one side is a Prince effectively).

For my taste, the distortion is meh - that's not why you buy one.

But as an overdrive and boost - wonderful, it's pushed my Klon KTR off my main board - sounds wonderful as a boost, and for low/medium gain overdrive - awesome.

Lots of people will tell you they're overpriced, and maybe they are, but there's a reason why people pay that - and I for one would never sell mine

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    MrMusic said:

I haven't been blown away by anything other than the KOT and that delay (still loads left to try though).

No doubt quality workmanship but I wouldn't buy something just because it's an Analogman. 
    edited July 2017
    shaunm said:
    MrMusic said:

I haven't been blown away by anything other than the KOT and that delay (still loads left to try though).

No doubt quality workmanship but I wouldn't buy something just because it's an Analogman. 
    I would! Everything i have bought from Analogman has always exceded my expectations and price wise very reasonable for such handmade quality.

You should definitely try out as much stuff from the range as you can (if you need anymore pedals that is!)

Bi comp and bi chorus are both fantastic and any one of his fuzz pedals are easily up there as the best fuzz's on earth.

Small company (that could have hugely expanded and sold cheaper versions like all the other companies trying make money) solid build, great sound and reliable..... Whats not to rate about Analogman and Mr Analog Mike?? 

I'd have a Analogman only board but he doesnt do tuners!
    A must watch shows how passionate the man is and how much he knows about vintage pedals and pedals in general. Not many people have this much talent and skills
    I have loved all Analogman stuff that I have had............hard to beat.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited July 2017
    MrMusic said:
    Amazing pedal!! Get one, you wont be dissapointed!

MrMusic said:
    I would! Everything i have bought from Analogman has always exceded my expectations and price wise very reasonable for such handmade quality.

You should definitely try out as much stuff from the range as you can (if you need anymore pedals that is!)

Bi comp and bi chorus are both fantastic and any one of his fuzz pedals are easily up there as the best fuzz's on earth.

Small company (that could have hugely expanded and sold cheaper versions like all the other companies trying make money) solid build, great sound and reliable..... Whats not to rate about Analogman and Mr Analog Mike?? 

I'd have a Analogman only board but he doesnt do tuners!
    MrMusic said:
    A must watch shows how passionate the man is and how much he knows about vintage pedals and pedals in general. Not many people have this much talent and skills
    How much is he paying you?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol! Good one #Ben8010 ! Not enough!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Think i might get an Analogman tattoo!!! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    MrMusic said:
    Think i might get an Analogman tattoo!!! 
    Is he doing tattoos now?