Cover versions...

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15986
edited July 2017 in Music
If you are a song writer with a successful album with good songs under your belt and someone ( another star) wants to cover and release on their own album or single, one of your songs....can you refuse them permission?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    A quick google around suggests that you can't as long as they've got all the Is dotted and Ts crossed and pay the copyright fees. I've only ever written one song and that was rubbbish so my personal experience in this are is somewhat limited :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 494
    Doubt it. There were cases about sampling in the earlier days of hip hop and dance music and if I recall they were all resolved in an order to pay royalties to the original artists. No songs were ever banned on this basis. I suppose a cover version that the original artist disapproves of would have a similar outcome.
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    I believe Robert Smith stopped someone from being him on 'Stars in Their Eyes' by refusing to let them use a Cure song and so the guy didn't get to appear. I think they should have let him on anyway - a Robert Smith look-a-like doing a Tina Turner song would surely have won it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15986
    edited July 2017
    What got me thinkin' was I heard Something on the radio today by Shirley Bastirt and I thought to myself, bloody hell, that's beyond crap......Hmmm I wonder if George could've said no way Shirley love, you can't cover it....
    tae be or not tae be
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4813
    hootsmon said:
    If you are a song writer with a successful album with good songs under your belt and someone ( another star) wants to cover and release on their own album or single, one of your songs....can you refuse them permission?
    If you've got a career with published songs, chances are you've already sold the right to say anything about what happens to your work to the publishing company - depending on the contract you signed with them.