Giant (Dann Huff) reunion; Nice guitar bits (obvs)

What's Hot
CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
Giant did a short 3-song reunion gig in Nashville.
Dann Huff (my favourite) nailed it!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Nailed it indeed !

My fave video of the day,
    On repeat play...

Cheers Catthan  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Shame he never sang but Bryan Cole did a good job - would be good to see them tour this. Dan Huff is a fantastic player and must not be far behind Luke in his number of sessions done...
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Great clip.
    It's not a competition.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Great to see "The Huff" playing and the band revisiting this stuff after so many years. One of my favourite guitarists and I love those albums.

Bryan Cole did a great job and whilst DH handled the vocals well on the albums, having seen them live on 2 occasions, he couldn't replicate it in that situation and so this works much better :)

Nice to see Mark Oakley a part of this on 2nd guitar and he replicated all the album parts and sounds when he played live with them. In fact, there's another vid knocking around of this that's been filmed from Mark's side and it's a more balanced sound.

Nice one

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I love Huff's playing, especially with Giant, so this is a joy to watch.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    DLM said:
    Cheers for this.  

Great to see Dann Huff shredding on those solos in 2017. 
    Of course, DH has played with everyone from Madonna to Celine Dion but I quite like this country-pop inclusion and solo with Rascal Flatts from the Pixar film "Cars"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Some info I remember being posted on HRI about Dann's guitar:

Dann's "model" is alder, maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard. Black in color with a matching headstock. Gold logo, gold hardware. Wilkinson VS-100 bridge. Neck & middle pickups are Duncan classic stacks (they have never been Suhr V-60 or V-60lp) & the humbucker is a Duncan TB-4. It also sports a 5 way pickup selector, and a midboost preamp along with Volume & Tone controls with gold dome knobs on a tortoise shell pickguard. There are also three black push buttons, one for each pickup, to switch each pickup individually for series/parallel operation.  

When we first started the model, the humbucker was a different make & madel that are no longer available (don't ask about it, it'll just start another feeding frenzy and I can't help you find one), but still exsists in some of the earlier Huff Models as well as in Dann's personal guitar, which, by the way is the same one you still see him using when you geat a glimpse of the man. There was an instrument made for him with an ash body & a maple neck and if I remember correctly it had a mid boost in it as well, but it wasn't a "Dann Huff Model" to my best recolection. Just a Tyler Classic set up for him. He also has/had a Tyler "Ultimate Weapon" and the now famous "Giant" guitar (a yellow, highly souped up classic) as well.  

Hope this helps

Paul

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Kebabkid said:
    Of course, DH has played with everyone from Madonna to Celine Dion but I quite like this country-pop inclusion and solo with Rascal Flatts from the Pixar film "Cars"

Damn it.. I've been listening to that solo for a while now and thoroughly enjoying it and kinda suspected it must be The Huff as I know he's produced RF.. 

Every nice bit of gtr playing or solo I've been drawn to in the past 2 years is either Huff or Luke; when there's not many explosive odd penta grouping sequences (Huff) I struggle to tell the 2 apart.

He also seems like the nicest bloke too.. Love him! Sounds silly but feels like tho I've been playing for 20 yrs, I only discovered my 'idol' (Huff) 2 yrs ago.. 

The prospect of hearing more of him has got me very excited.

If anyone can point me to more gtr work from DH pls pm me the links, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

//End of gtr boy-crash rambling//
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Catthan said:

If anyone can point me to more gtr work from DH pls pm me the links, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

//End of gtr boy-crash rambling//
    The reason bingefeller tagged me in this thread (cheers!) is because as a church musician I got to know Dan Huff's guitar work as a sessioneer on the cheesiest Christian soft rock of the 80s - he was based in Nashville where all the big-budget contemporary Christian music was being produced.
    I've documented a couple of outstanding examples on the brief thread at
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17766/
    edited July 2017
    There's also those YT clips of him in the studio with Giant showing you the breakdown of the songs or how to layer parts. Really interesting and of course, fantastic playing and sounds.
    Edit: it's his instructional video and there's about 6 parts.
    bigjon said:
    The reason bingefeller tagged me in this thread (cheers!)

@bigjon To be sure, I didn't realise @bingefeller and I looked and sounded so alike, to be sure! ;)

Actually, it was because of your letter to Guitar Techniques a while back asking foar moar Huff.

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    Such absolute musical taste perfection imho..   awesome, legendary, and so understated.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

DLM said:
    bigjon said:

@bigjon To be sure, I didn't realise @bingefeller and I looked and sounded so alike, to be sure! ;)

Actually, it was because of your letter to Guitar Techniques a while back asking foar moar Huff.

@DLM did Guitar Techniques transcribe some Dann Huff?
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    DLM said:
    bigjon said:

http://faststrings.com/guitar-techniques-december-2012-211.html it seems so

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

DLM said:
    bigjon said:

http://faststrings.com/guitar-techniques-december-2012-211.html it seems so

I missed that one - must have a look at it at some point, cheers.  
    DLM said:
    bigjon said:

@bingefeller @bloodandtears Not to my memory, no. Only a few "in-the-style-of" licks. :cry: I think that's what @bigjon was shooting for with his letter: actual factual Huff. Mutt Lange would call the magic ingredient on which studio monsters like Huff and his designated LA replacement Michael Thompson built their careers "grease", and that's why transcriptions of real playing beat sound-alikes hands down. No disrespect to the GT writers, who are fine players. Neville Marten has been quite clear about how the economic circumstances of GT these days and way the licensing situation has developed mean there's little chance of such content in the future. :bawling:
    Oh, Phil Hilborne transcribed the "I'm A Believer" solo in an old issue of Guitarist. I could look up which one (I'm pretty sure it was pre-CD) if anyone wants to remind themselves of how much their picking sucks compared to Danns... \m/