The first album I ever owned, bought by my mum

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341

I liked it at the time, but bloody hell were these sh*te. A bunch of naff cover versions of current hits with a dolly bird on the cover. Bought in Woolworths.

And yes, I still have it!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    edited July 2017
    Those were the days

I remember my dad buying this one:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72591
    I bought a reissue one of these on CD a year or so ago - £1, from a charity shop. I like quite a lot of nostalgic cheesy music, so I thought it would be cool.

I gave it back to the shop. Total crap, and not even funny-bad.

I seem to remember that most of the cover models could be spotted in certain other publications of the time too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11345
    Quite a few name musicians played on these.

Danny Baker used to play one with Elton John on it, and I think one with David Bowie as well.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    Back in the day, when you used to get stuff free with petrol I got custody of a tape from our local garage. (This was after the standard mug giveaways.) It had such wonders as I should be so lucky by Kylie, and letter from America by the proclaimers. I can't remember any more off it but it was awful then, and landfill now. Thankfully.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    edited July 2017
    First album my mum ever bought me?

Please Hammer Dont Hurt Emjpg

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72591
    Sesh said:
    Back in the day, when you used to get stuff free with petrol I got custody of a tape from our local garage. (This was after the standard mug giveaways.) It had such wonders as I should be so lucky by Kylie, and letter from America by the proclaimers. I can't remember any more off it but it was awful then, and landfill now. Thankfully.
    I think by then it would have at least been the original recordings rather than the Top Of The Pops cover versions - they stopped in the early 80s.

I have to say I'm amazed by the skill of the musicians who could knock up pretty accurate arrangements of really very different original records in what was often little more than a couple of hours, but the results were usually quite grating through anything more hi-fi than a supermarket customer announcements system where you could barely pick out anything more than the basic melody.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    ICBM said:
    Sesh said:
    I think by then it would have at least been the original recordings rather than the Top Of The Pops cover versions - they stopped in the early 80s.

I have to say I'm amazed by the skill of the musicians who could knock up pretty accurate arrangements of really very different original records in what was often little more than a couple of hours, but the results were usually quite grating through anything more hi-fi than a supermarket customer announcements system where you could barely pick out anything more than the basic melody.
    Yeah, I was the original artists doing the songs, not that that meant much.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    I had the one with Wig Wham Bam on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14362
    tFB Trader
    I brought one in 1974 - aged 14 from Woolies - can still recall today been so disappointed it was all covers
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Uriah Heep singer David Byron another who was a pretty prolific singer on those TOTP cover version albums, even by the time he was with Heep he was still appearing on those albums. There's a few good articles about the sessions and the people who recorded them on t'interweb. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    edited July 2017
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The first was Shakin' Stevens or the Shadows. I can't remember which. Both were shite.

I had/have somewhere one of those TOTP albums from around 1985/6. That's shite as well.

All were bought by Dad in WHSmith and Woolworths.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    First album my mum ever bought me?

Please Hammer Dont Hurt Emjpg

That was the first album I bought...
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Back in Black, on a cassette