Is it me, or are these Yamaha SG prices getting a bit silly?

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Sassafras said:
    I wonder if there's money to be made in buying up cheap Yamaha SGs when possible and selling them on to him for his "stock" at an inflated price?
    Sounds like he pounces on them as soon as they become available. He's obviously trying to corner the market in SGs and Marauders, strange as that market might be.
    is he actively buying today ? - or are these part of an older acquisition and he is now dangling a carrot regarding pricing and hope customers bite ?

Well, you could always ask him directly...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/profile/7190/jaysgrocker2000

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    ICBM said: 
    That assumes that any of his actually sell. Given that with a few exceptions they are not rare models, most buyers will just get another one from a seller who isn't trying to rip them off, and the price will stay where it is.
    I had a customer bring in for setup an SG2000 he'd bought from this guy. I think he paid nearly £3K, told me he bought it from "a collector" 
    Did he mention if the collector wore an eye mask, had a horse and pistol?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited July 2017
    It's easy to buy a used Yamaha SG. Ishibashi will sell you a late 70's-80's one for £500-650 Ish. Add £100 for delivery, then 23% of that for Duty/VAT. The guitar will be landed legally for about £770-900. But usually the older ones come in a crappy gig bag. So your looking another £100 for a case. I've done it many times, the customer service is excellent. So his monopoly idea is flawed. Although I sold my 91 Ibanez RG760 to a speculative dealer on EBay who now wants £800 for it. 

I agree re: about the dynamics of the 2000. It's that plate under the bridge. I've only owned 700s or SG1000's. Which weight aside, are excellent guitars.  I did have a project that was a beaten up SG1300T. But I sold that on. 

But my middle brother lived in Edinburgh for 15 years. Whenever I visited, they were always loads of used SG's available. Often in mom & pop type music shops. They were very popular guitars north of the border. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sassafras said:
    I wonder if there's money to be made in buying up cheap Yamaha SGs when possible and selling them on to him for his "stock" at an inflated price?
    Sounds like he pounces on them as soon as they become available. He's obviously trying to corner the market in SGs and Marauders, strange as that market might be.
    is he actively buying today ? - or are these part of an older acquisition and he is now dangling a carrot regarding pricing and hope customers bite ?

He seems to be a valued member who's made a huge contribution to the classifieds section, not so much in other areas of the forum.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:

He seems to be a valued member who's made a huge contribution to the classifieds section, not so much in other areas of the forum.
    A not-identified dealer??
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2017
    ICBM said:You'll have to fight @HarrySeven for them...
    'Tis true...I do like Ovation Breadwinners, Deacons, etc...
    I've got an Eastwood copy of Breadwinner and while the guitar is nice enough to play the mini-humbuckers are absolutely not able to make any sounds I like.
    What I like most are the Stormy Mondays which I've got in a couple of guitars (V and a Sheraton) but they aren't going to fit in the Breadwinner.  And I keep wondering what mini-humbucker EMGs would sound like.

Any suggestions for what I could put in there?  It's a shame not to be gigging this guitar.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    jeztone2 said:

But my middle brother lived in Edinburgh for 15 years. Whenever I visited, they were always loads of used SG's available. Often in mom & pop type music shops. They were very popular guitars north of the border. 
    That'll be down to Stuart Adamson no doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    jeztone2 said:
    It's easy to buy a used Yamaha SG. Ishibashi will sell you a late 70's-80's one for £500-650 Ish. Add £100 for delivery, then 23% of that for Duty/VAT. The guitar will be landed legally for about £770-900. But usually the older ones come in a crappy gig bag. So your looking another £100 for a case. I've done it many times, the customer service is excellent. So his monopoly idea is flawed. Although I sold my 91 Ibanez RG760 to a speculative dealer on EBay who now wants £800 for it. 

I agree re: about the dynamics of the 2000. It's that plate under the bridge. I've only owned 700s or SG1000's. Which weight aside, are excellent guitars.  I did have a project that was a beaten up SG1300T. But I sold that on. 

Maybe the Scots are real men, and require something that has some substance. If a Scotsman needs a Yamaha SG, it probably means they've broken the Tele?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    fandango said:
    Maybe the Scots are real men, and require something that has some substance. If a Scotsman needs a Yamaha SG, it probably means they've broken the Tele?
    The extra weight stops their kilts blowing around.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    Could be an idea.....
    "Jay" bought my SG1000N off me via ebay earlier this year. I sold to him for £725 and I was more than happy with that. He picked up on the ad very quickly, collected and paid with crisp £50 notes. Which was nice. I did not know he was a dealer, until he sent me  friend request on Faceache. Anyhoo he sold my old guitar for £1349, took about three weeks to sell. His to sell at that point so can't bleat .... however his prices do seem a little err enthusiastic
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited July 2017
    Just to echo what @jeztone2 wrote about Ishibashi Music—they’re a fine dealer and make international transactions as easy as can be. They call their used selection “U-Box,” and they maintain an English version here (though note that most items don’t include a description of condition; you usually need to submit an inquiry and wait a few days for a reply). I think they have a minimum order price of JP¥50,000, so most effects pedals won’t qualify (and in fact aren’t shown on the English version of U-Box), but otherwise they’ll ship anything they carry overseas.

Since they are willing to ship most anywhere, I think Ishibashi’s prices for things like 1970s–1980s Yamahas, Ibanezes, and Arias pretty much establish the going rates.
    Could be an idea.....
    "Jay" bought my SG1000N off me via ebay earlier this year. I sold to him for £725 and I was more than happy with that. He picked up on the ad very quickly, collected and paid with crisp £50 notes. Which was nice. I did not know he was a dealer, until he sent me  friend request on Faceache. Anyhoo he sold my old guitar for £1349, took about three weeks to sell. His to sell at that point so can't bleat .... however his prices do seem a little err enthusiastic

£1349?!?!

FFS! How?!

Was that an actual, *real* sale?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    polotska said:
    Just to echo what @jeztone2 wrote about Ishibashi Music—they’re a fine dealer and make international transactions as easy as can be. They call their used selection “U-Box,” and they maintain an English version here (though note that most items don’t include a description of condition; you usually need to submit an inquiry and wait a few days for a reply). I think they have a minimum order price of JP¥50,000, so most effects pedals won’t qualify (and in fact aren’t shown on the English version of U-Box), but otherwise they’ll ship anything they carry overseas.

Since they are willing to ship most anywhere, I think Ishibashi’s prices for things like 1970s–1980s Yamahas, Ibanezes, and Arias pretty much establish the going rates.
    I've bought from Ishibashi and they were superb.

I wonder if you can still do this in view of the CITES regulations though...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Whilst on this topic, there are a number of sellers (dealers) on eBay, Gumtree, Facebook, etc (on here, too), whose modus operandi is very much about (quite blatant) flipping.

Without getting into the ethics of such practices (that's what dealers do, after all), there are a number of notable examples (who spring to mind) whose pricing is regularly on the 'deluded' side of optimistic...and the guitars/amps/whatever just keep on reappearing again and again. More guitars seem to be regularly added to their listings, but few ever seem to sell (because of the pricing, I guess). Seems an odd way to run (even a bedroom) business.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    It's happening with Classic Cars too.

The unintelligent see a car advertised for £x and assume their car is worth £x (often x + y). This pushes perceptions of 'value' up. Sadly the reality is that some of the cars have been for sale for literally years and won't sell at the sums asked as they don't measure up. In reality a 'valuation' should be based on the prices realised for similar - not asking prices.

This works for a short time until the bottom falls out of the market. It happens a lot in the collecting field - usually when non enthusiasts get involved thinking they can earn a few bob.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14258
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    It's happening with Classic Cars too.

The unintelligent see a car advertised for £x and assume their car is worth £x (often x + y). This pushes perceptions of 'value' up. Sadly the reality is that some of the cars have been for sale for literally years and won't sell at the sums asked as they don't measure up. In reality a 'valuation' should be based on the prices realised for similar - not asking prices.

This works for a short time until the bottom falls out of the market. It happens a lot in the collecting field - usually when non enthusiasts get involved thinking they can earn a few bob.
    I agree - but what sometimes happens is if the owners of select guitars don't need to sell and are just speculating, then in reality prices won't come down - Instead such guitars are simply removed from the market place until a later date when price trends might have taken a different turn
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    Could be an idea.....

£1349?!?!

FFS! How?!

Was that an actual, *real* sale?
    As far as i can tell, sold on ebay listing.....
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    I don't understand why people get so hung up about pricing.  

If someone lists a guitar at £1500, and you don't think it's worth that, offer £1300 or whatever - what's the worst that can happen?

I think most sellers expect a bit of "back and forth", they simply open with a starting position.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited July 2017
    No doubt been surfing Hebay, if they had it 40 yrs I reckon its cost about the same as mine did back then...

<a data-flickr-embed="true"  href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/149260669@N02/34050628206/in/datetaken/" title="My first proper guitar...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview