What music did/do your parents like?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Sesh said:
    Yeah, Christ, Declan was a godsend compared to Brendan Shine.
    Do you want your old lobby washed down Con Sesh?

My mother is Irish, so The Dubliners, Chieftains and later, and most influentially, Planxty. She also had a soft spot for things like John Denver - cheesy as heck but I remember loving the records from downstairs as I fell asleep.

My father was a bit more adventurous. He saw "Ray Davies and the Kinks" once but wasn't impressed due to their noisy and unkempt nature. He had some jazz LPs that I remember playing. I think the one I loved was by Kenny Ball and it had the wonderful Midnight in Moscow on it. In a rare moment of bonding, he took me to see Stephane Grappelli, which I remain thankful for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The only albums of newly-released music I remember my mum buying were the Fisher Folk ("Contemporary" Christian music actually 20 years out of date) and the Goombay Dance Band.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    Before he inflicted the pain of James Last on the family, my Dad listened mostly to Frank Sinatra, George Shearing,  Matt Munro, Shirley Bassey and similar. My Mum liked Mantovani and Nana Mouskouri.
    Needless to say when I bought 'Take Me Bak Ome' by Slade and stuck it on the record player I got more than a gobfull from him :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3076
    Pasted from the other thread.......

Elvis, Lonnie Donegan, Duane Eddy, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, The Stones, DSOTM... but mainly The Carpenters and Senior Service fumes in my Dad's smoking lounge Cortina. 

Cliff Richard and similar from my Mom - inadvertently exposing me to loads of Hank and Bruce of course.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Dad was into Glenn Miller, big band music and jazz - he was in the RAF in WW2 and every station had a dance band and a few jazz bands. Mum was younger so was into Elvis and Cliff Richard and the Shadows.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Basher said:
    Sesh said:
    Yeah, Christ, Declan was a godsend compared to Brendan Shine.
    Do you want your old lobby washed down Con Sesh?

Glad I'm not the only one who suffered.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    fob said:
    Dad wasn't that much into music - I think he only had two records in the house: Johnny Mathis and Richard Clayderman. I haven't thought about Richard Clayderman in decades - 
    Holy shit, neither have I. I got a RC tape for Xmas when I was about nine. 
  • Amongst the classical, easy listening and male voice choir records, my Dad had one or two great LP's that I loved as a kid, and still do. Tubular Bells. Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre. Also tapes of the band Sky, sort of prog/classical with some great classical guitar. Don't know much about Sky but we listened to them a lot in our home the early 80's.

He also likes the blues; in the 90's, Dad bought a series of magazines called the Blues Collection that were about a different Blues artist every issue, and came with a tape of the artist's tunes; they gave me a good intro to the blues.   

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918

Amongst the classical, easy listening and male voice choir records, my Dad had one or two great LP's that I loved as a kid, and still do. Tubular Bells. Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre. Also tapes of the band Sky, sort of prog/classical with some great classical guitar. Don't know much about Sky but we listened to them a lot in our home the early 80's.

He also likes the blues; in the 90's, Dad bought a series of magazines called the Blues Collection that were about a different Blues artist every issue, and came with a tape of the artist's tunes; they gave me a good intro to the blues.   

@MagicPigDetective I remember Sky well, had their first album - John Williams on guitar (often seen playing an Ovation!), and the incomparable Herbie Flowers on bass.

I also collected those "Blues Collection" tapes - didn't get them on CD as I didn't have a CD player at the time!  I got up to about 48 out of 64, then they had to miss one out because of some copyright issues, so I cancelled the rest...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
    My rents were not big into music, top of the pops was about the height of it, probably why they may not have ever considered that their kids, or at least one of them, just might have been.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Nitefly said:

Amongst the classical, easy listening and male voice choir records, my Dad had one or two great LP's that I loved as a kid, and still do. Tubular Bells. Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre. Also tapes of the band Sky, sort of prog/classical with some great classical guitar. Don't know much about Sky but we listened to them a lot in our home the early 80's.

@MagicPigDetective I remember Sky well, had their first album - John Williams on guitar (often seen playing an Ovation!), and the incomparable Herbie Flowers on bass.

I also collected those "Blues Collection" tapes - didn't get them on CD as I didn't have a CD player at the time!  I got up to about 48 out of 64, then they had to miss one out because of some copyright issues, so I cancelled the rest...
    I had some of those cd's, they still pop up in Oxfam. I'm beginning to think I might be magic pig's dad :astonished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    The Beatles 
    The Beach Boys
    Abba
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Elvis

I know every word

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Nitefly said:

Sky had Francis Monkman from Curved Air as well. They were a decent band, although they had that classical music "tightness" and restraint about them and seemed  to struggle with getting loose and rocking out.

I just had a listen to Cannonball from the first album, it sounds very dated now. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Why do I keep reading the thread title as "what music dildo" ?  :)
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    My Mum loves opera, bebop, rock stuff like queen, and most recently (I shit you not) Cyprus Hill and some other stuff that I haven't got a clue what it is.  The first gig I went to was queen when I was really young and loved it.  She still has a massive love for music. 

Dad, country!