the Brexit Cats out the bag

What's Hot
Man who ran the Vote Leave campaign admits Brexit could 'be an error'

Dominic Cummings said In some possible branches of the future leaving will be an errorbr Dominic Cummings said: "In some possible branches of the future leaving will be an error"

The man behind the Vote Leave campaign has admitted Brexit could "be an error" and holding the referendum in the first place was a “dumb idea.”

Dominic Cummings, the brains behind the infamous pledge of £350million a week for the NHS, said some possible outcomes of leaving the EU would leave Britain worse off.

Writing on Twitter, he said there were “more possible branches” of the future which made it a good idea.

•  
UP NEXT
UP NEXT

But he said “other things should have been tried first” before launching a referendum on leaving the EU.

Asked if anything could happen that would make him wish Leave hadn't won, he replied: "Lots! I said before REF was dumb idea, other things shdve been tried 1st. In some possible branches of the future leaving will be an error."

Vote Leave was behind oversimplified lies during the Brexit campaign Photo REUTERSbr br© Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Vote Leave was behind oversimplified "lies" during the Brexit campaign... (Photo: REUTERS)

Lib Dem leader Tim Farron declared: "Dominic Cummings has let the cat out of the bag.

"This is the man who slapped the £350million NHS lie on the side of the bus who is now saying leaving the EU could be a mistake."

James McGrory, executive director of the pro-EU Open Britain campaign, added: "He could have plastered 'it's a dumb idea and there will be less money for the NHS' on the side of a big red bus.

"It would have inserted some reality into the Leave campaign.

"Leading Leave campaigners now seek to blame everyone else for the Brexit mess, but they are as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo."

but he complained his argument was being over-simplified Photo Gettybr© Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc ... but he complained his argument was being over-simplified (Photo: Getty)
Mr Cummings rarely appeared publicly but was the campaign director of Vote Leave, the official Brexit campaign which spent around £7million in the EU referendum.

Vote Leave's now-infamous battle bus said: "We send the EU £350million a week - let's fund our NHS instead."

One poster promoted by Boris Johnson went even further, saying: "Let's give our NHS the £350million the EU takes every week."

The claim emerged as a sham when analysis for Chancellor Philip Hammond estimated extra borrowing due to Brexit would cost £58.7bn over five years - £226million a week.

Despite his tweet, Mr Cummings has insisted "I did not say ' Brexit bad'".

After he was accused of saying Brexit was a mistake, the man behind such slogans as "Turkey (population 76million) is joining the EU" complained his argument was being oversimplified.

He then tried to explain it using quantum mechanics instead.

4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Yeah had to say, this says more about you @marantz1300 than it does about him and his opinions to be honest.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I bet you have hundreds of friends on Facebook and have been quietly unfollowed by all of them except your mum.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited July 2017

Bit fucking late now, isn't it?

We should just get on with it for fuck's sake, and stop bitching about it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4814

Depends on your point of view. I'd like to stop it here and now and start discussing fixing the things that are wrong with the EU instead. Someone, somewhere made a comment that the UK is like a patient with a terminally ill diagnosis who made an appointment with Dignitas. They've since been told their condition can be cured, but can't be bothered to cancel the appointment. 

I don't have a problem with controlling our own borders or making our own laws - but the economic self harm that will occur in the short to medium term will be a disaster.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Depends on your point of view. I'd like to stop it here and now and start discussing fixing the things that are wrong with the EU instead. Someone, somewhere made a comment that the UK is like a patient with a terminally ill diagnosis who made an appointment with Dignitas. They've since been told their condition can be cured, but can't be bothered to cancel the appointment. 

I don't have a problem with controlling our own borders or making our own laws - but the economic self harm that will occur in the short to medium term will be a disaster.

Good luck with stopping it, then.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    Any chance we can get back on track with the globalist one world government thingamajig? Surely George Soros as supreme leader would be better than Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I'd like to stop it here and now and start discussing fixing the things that are wrong with the EU instead.

Sensible of course. The trouble is, Dave already tried that and got nowhere...

Maybe they'll sort themselves out a bit once they realise they've lost an overall contributor.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    It is just one man's opinion on certain aspects of Brexit.

I fail to understand why Remoaners are so in love with the EU. 

If they love it so much then go and live in an EU member state. There are plenty to choose from. I hear Albania many be joining soon - a truly wonderful place to go and live.

Just get on with leaving the EU FFS.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26757
    rocktron said:
    That's not actually what he said:

"In some possible branches of the future, leaving will be an error"

The meaning of this is "Brexit will be an error overall if some things happen" - not "some bits of Brexit will be an error". In other words, Brexit is a massive gamble, as described by the guy whose only job was to tell us what's so great about leaving and what sucks about staying. Pity he couldn't have mentioned that at the time, eh?

rocktron said:

If they love it so much then go and live in an EU member state. 
    Everybody here already does, which is kind of the point.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107

Its never too late to make things better.

just think it's funny that the instigators of brexit can see a shit storm coming and are looking for a way out after mugging so many off.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The man's clearly an idiot - he ran a poor campaign so his judgement is flawed. If he told me the sun was shining I'd immediately seek a second opinion.

The EU is at breaking point with the influx of migrants. Austria has sent troops to its border with Italy and the EU is demanding we take thousands of migrants. Bill Gates has said Europe will be overwhelmed unless it stems the flow. The EU is fast becoming a basket case with the old eastern bloc powers at loggerheads with the likes of France and the budget is under pressure.

I think in years to come we will look back and think getting out was a wise move.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821

just think it's funny that the instigators of brexit can see a shit storm coming and are looking for a way out after mugging so many off.

The shit storm coming is the next financial crisis. We haven't overcome the last one, in fact things have become a lot worse. I think Brexit will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    rocktron said:

If they love it so much then go and live in an EU member state. There are plenty to choose from. I hear Albania many be joining soon - a truly wonderful place to go and live.

"Waaaah! If you love it so much, go and live there! Waaah! Leave England for us patriotic Englanders. Waaaah! Mummy! Mummy! Someone has a different opinion to me! Why don't they leave the country and leave me in my own tired, racist, Euroscpetic bubble! Nigel! Niiigel! Can we go back to fifties and have a little cuddle now! Bring back smoking in pubs! Hang the non-believers!! Are you still hanging out with Raheem? I don't trust him!"
    10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • Ravenous said:

I'd like to stop it here and now and start discussing fixing the things that are wrong with the EU instead.

Sensible of course. The trouble is, Dave already tried that and got nowhere...

Maybe they'll sort themselves out a bit once they realise they've lost an overall contributor.

He didn't try at all. Instead of trying to forge alliances with other member states to effect meaningful reform that could have benefited the whole EU he just presented a set of UK demands on a totally unrealistic timetable Domestic (and largely party) political pressure meant he had no appetite for the long game. As it happens what the EU offered stretched the EU treaties much further than I thought they were capable of bending. 

The other member states aren't stupid. They know Brexit hurts them. But they rightly calculate it will hurt the UK more. A lot more. 

whichever way you slice it it's a catastrophe for the UK economy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    I am still getting my Spitfire though, aren't I?
    Just checking.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    rocktron said:

Remoaners have agreed to stop moaning if you agree to start thinking. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Freebird said:

The shit storm coming is the next financial crisis. We haven't overcome the last one, in fact things have become a lot worse. I think Brexit will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
    If there is another financial shitstorm we want to be out of the EU .. the EU's banks are in a parlous state .. it could be the thing that splits the EU leaving just the prosperous northern countries. The rest rely on EU handouts to survive.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    If its just the prosperous north left, then maybe its better to stay in.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    rocktron said:

I'd love to, but it's not that simple when I don't yet have anything to offer.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    rocktron said:

Remoaners have agreed to stop moaning if you agree to start thinking. 

It's a fucking guitar forum, what do you expect?
    Fuck it I'm out of here
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom