What would happen if you changed a Phase Inverter valve?

ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
Say; swapped a 12AX7 for an AT7 or an AU7?

Blue smoke?

Blue flames?!  :o 

Subtle, almost imperceivable, tonal shift...?
Not much of the gear, even less idea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1637

ICBM will give chap&verse on those amps that might be damaged. The almost universal Long Tailed Pair PI is a stage that is very hard to overdrive so the actual valve type probably won't change the tone very much (but the cork sniffers will have a say no doubt!)

Then, many of the bigger, 50W+ put negative feedback around the PI stage which makes it all the more immune to valve type.

BTW. The bigger Blackstar amps use a 12AU7 (ECC82) as a driver from the PI. DO NOT use anything else! A 12AX7 will sound horrible and might only just last the night but you are very unlikely to damage the amp itself. Other brands..Not so sure.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72477
    Usually a slightly cleaner, clearer and more open sound.

What amp is it? There are a few where it might not be a good idea because the plate resistor ratings may be exceeded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited July 2017
    It's a Two Rock Exo 15.

Actually, they are Two Rock Exo 15's. I have two, I use them in tandem, and I've been toying with the idea of changing the valve compliment in one of them for some subtle tonal variation in the stereo picture. I've already put a 12AU7 in the preamp of one, but it's a pretty low gain amp to start with, so it hasn't changed the sound much. So I though, "Next step; Phase Inverter and then Rectifier."

Perhaps it's not worth it...?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72477
    I'm not familiar with those so I have no idea really!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks anyway!  B)
    I'll e-mail Two Rock. I think the new (old) management are a bit sniffy about the stuff that was produced in their absence, but I'll give it a shot. You never know... 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    You would be better off using something like a Yellow Jackets YJ20 to convert the output tube to an EL84. I'm not 100% sure if it would work, but it should.