Making the Best of what we got

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
edited February 2014 in Amps
I love AMPS! I love TONE! But what I don't love is AAS!

I have a carefully collected set of amps that each give great sounds and I couldn't justify selling one to fund another. I also have limited room and limited spare funds to keep adding more. So when I see a new demo for a highly rated bit of kit I look at the spec, search out some more demos, look for any live performances with said amp and then go and see if I can get that tone from mixing and matching from my collection.

For instance - I no longer have a 59 Bassman LTD but I have three amps that each offer a tonal character from it (Tweed Deluxe, Superchamp XD, Pignose G40V) and when I pair them up in varying guises -  I can easily get that golden honey'd Bassman tone less the ear pain (although the Pignose is 40 loud 6L6 watts if you want) and -  I even get the distinctive 'swirl from the separate speakers.

If I want a VOX vibe, my EL34 Cornford Roadhouse running 2x12 V30s in sep cabs and some external EQing (essential to lighten the shade) and a bit of light Spring verb gets me there - Add some grit and you have that Top Boost gain.

If I want to sound all early Marshall, then my Pignose G40 (actually is based on an early JTM spec) and the Roadhouse again steroed up, without the verb but added grind from an OCD-like FX... My 65 Super Reverb and Supersonic60 run together sound like a Vibroking on heat...

This may not be a grab and go option, but to satisfy some of that AAS and enjoy the investment already made a bit more, all you need is some experimentation and a good ear... and lots cables... and some planning... move some furniture out the way... neighbours to go out...

What can you achieve with yours??
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• But...

How do you get the brutalz man?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    57Deluxe said:

toasted muffins,  if I leave it on long enough
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    But...

How do you get the brutalz man?
    ...well I I don't go that end of the dial but I can get a great noise by turning up the BURN on the Supersonic60 and dialing max gain and boost on the Cornford... you wouldn't want to be in the same room though - Man the SS60 is viciously LOUD
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • More people need to realise that a two amp setup is the ONLY way to achieve truly great tonal status. I use my fender hot rod deluxe and an orange tiny terror through 2x12 and they plug each other's holes superbly.
    How very rock and roll
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Not the only way. 4 works. 6 too

Only even numbers though

• JohnPerry;163919" said:
    Only even numbers though
    Oh shit, I only have one...
    That's fine if you put your hand over one ear

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wisdom awarded.
  • I'm not really that interested in re-creating different amp sounds. I just want a nice sounding amp that I can use for the bass of MY tone. Which is what I have.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    JohnPerry;163919" said:
    Only even numbers though
    Sticking to prime numbers works best.

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    JohnPerry said:

that is true - stereo is lost with one ear, though is directional positioning. So being deaf in one ear is worse than having 1 amp.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    This thread is getting dangerously close to supporting the end of GAS.

And that sir, is treason.

viz said:
    JohnPerry said:

being deaf in one ear is worse than having 1 amp.
    Nothing - nothing - is worse than only having one amp

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited February 2014
    57Deluxe said:
    I love AMPS! I love TONE! But what I don't love is AAS!

I have a carefully collected set of amps that each give great sounds and I couldn't justify selling one to fund another. I also have limited room and limited spare funds to keep adding more. So when I see a new demo for a highly rated bit of kit I look at the spec, search out some more demos, look for any live performances with said amp and then go and see if I can get that tone from mixing and matching from my collection.

For instance - I no longer have a 59 Bassman LTD but I have three amps that each offer a tonal character from it (Tweed Deluxe, Superchamp XD, Pignose G40V) and when I pair them up in varying guises -  I can easily get that golden honey'd Bassman tone less the ear pain (although the Pignose is 40 loud 6L6 watts if you want) and -  I even get the distinctive 'swirl from the separate speakers.

If I want a VOX vibe, my EL34 Cornford Roadhouse running 2x12 V30s in sep cabs and some external EQing (essential to lighten the shade) and a bit of light Spring verb gets me there - Add some grit and you have that Top Boost gain.

If I want to sound all early Marshall, then my Pignose G40 (actually is based on an early JTM spec) and the Roadhouse again steroed up, without the verb but added grind from an OCD-like FX... My 65 Super Reverb and Supersonic60 run together sound like a Vibroking on heat...

This may not be a grab and go option, but to satisfy some of that AAS and enjoy the investment already made a bit more, all you need is some experimentation and a good ear... and lots cables... and some planning... move some furniture out the way... neighbours to go out...

And here's crazy old me buying up all these amps when it turns out I only need 6......

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2014
    /\ Yes my point! Don't endlessly buy amps for one tone! I am showing you the (partial) error of my ways!! AND for you to experiment and tell us all your secrets...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>