Quick question on cap voltage

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 207
    JPF and ICBM, what cap type would be your preference in the hundreds of pF range (tone stack treble caps, reverb coupling caps etc)?  Ceramic, Polystyrene? 
    I've been using silver mica in my DIY builds, not for mojo reasons but just because they're easily available and seemed like reasonable quality parts, and aren't all that expensive when there are only three or four in an amp.  I think I'm not likely to change them out in the couple of amps I used them in (unless they fail), but I might go for something else in the next one.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited July 2017
    MartinB said:
    JPF and ICBM, what cap type would be your preference in the hundreds of pF range (tone stack treble caps, reverb coupling caps etc)?  Ceramic, Polystyrene? 
    I've been using silver mica in my DIY builds, not for mojo reasons but just because they're easily available and seemed like reasonable quality parts, and aren't all that expensive when there are only three or four in an amp.  I think I'm not likely to change them out in the couple of amps I used them in (unless they fail), but I might go for something else in the next one.  

I use ceramic.

Polystyrene has quite a low melting temperature and easy to damage, especially if you are using lead-free solder.

They also used to have quite thin leads on them.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Ceramic or polypropylene.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein