A very special NGD for me.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Dibs.  ;)
    Beat me to it!
     =) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Stunning. Congrats man. Looking forward to a demo!
  • Nice. Reminds me of my Jaden Rose
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    beautiful!
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 708
    edited July 2017
    Glad you like the guitar ... and very glad you like the pickups :-) If I 'popped me clogs' without designing another  pickup I'd be happy that the Blackbird served as a reminder of what I could do ... it's my favorite of all those I produce I think, and I hear so much astounding music played on them (particularly when paired with the B6 Blackmachine).
    The Blackbird has a new stablemate (or should that be hanger mate) by the way, The Blackbird 'Ulfberht' (named after a famous Medieval sword maker).
    This is basically a ceramic powered (and slightly beefed up in output) at the bridge, and alnico 5 powered at the neck. Still all the clarity and usefulness clean ... but with a bit more raw ommmph in the bridge.
    I used to have a favorite pickup (PAF Pro) - The Blackbird pisses all over that. Love it to bits. I find it unforgiving, but in the sense that you get out of it what you put in, so if you're a bit shitty in your playing, then you just sound "OK", but if you do manage to nail it (which I do, every so often if the moon is in alignment) then it sounds stunning.

By far the best pickup I've ever tried. You can get anything out of that thing if you have skills. Even if you don't (i.e., you're me), you get a stunning sound, even on off days.

Evidenced by the fact I ordered one in a custom colour for my Jem. Lots of people have played and loved the thing when they've played it. 
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    I'm pretty new to the guitar, but that looks like an awesome guitar and its obvious how much @Bucket is loving it!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2893
    That is simply stunning.

• AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    I've played a couple of these and they really are great guitars, more than worth the hype and immensely versatile. Unfortunately, and unlike the OP, I don't have fingers like the creature from Alien so the neck profile was just too skinny for me.....it encouraged me to try and play properly which was a terrifying prospect.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Well done, Connor. :) I've liked these since Clive popped up with the first commercial B2.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The Blackbird is an unbelievable pickup. Really a class above any other high gain I've tried. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    Well done fella. Unlike me, your playing deserves a top quality guitar, and it looks like you have found one.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22897
    Bucket said:

If you're thinking it looks like a boneheaded metal guitar that isn't much use for anything else, you would be amazed. 
    There are some guitars which do like like boneheaded metal guitars, but I certainly don't think these do!

I've never believed in the idea that expensive guitars have to be "justified" by how skilled or successful the owner is, but Blackmachines are almost an exception - if I see one of these I know the chap who plays it is going to have some proper skills (or if he doesn't, he's going to look silly).  There's just something about them which says this is a serious, precision instrument.

I've never wanted one, and I'm definitely one of those blokes who'd look silly playing one, but it's a lovely looking guitar.  Congrats!  :)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Philly_Q said:
    I've never believed in the idea that expensive guitars have to be "justified" by how skilled or successful the owner is, but Blackmachines are almost an exception - if I see one of these I know the chap who plays it is going to have some proper skills (or if he doesn't, he's going to look silly).  There's just something about them which says this is a serious, precision instrument.
    I shall try to do it justice, in that case.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Bucket said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Having seen some vids of your playing I'm confident you'll do it justice.
    That said I think it would be great if you were to confound expectations and do a demo vid with it where you played some hot country licks on it !
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22897
    Yes I'm sure you'll do it justice!
    DrBob said:
    Bucket said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Having seen some vids of your playing I'm confident you'll do it justice.
    That said I think it would be great if you were to confound expectations and do a demo vid with it where you played some hot country licks on it !
    You know what, it'd sound great.

It's quite Tele-ish in its general tonality/timbre. Very bright and snappy.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited July 2017
    Very cool. Seems like you're over the moon with it. Enjoy. 
    So today it got a set of new strings. It had 10-52s on it when I got it, and a medium-to-low action, now it has 9-46s and a lower action - the way I have always liked my guitars. I was trying to wean myself off 9s and try a higher action, but this change was a combination of the 9-46 being the only set I had and the desire to see what I could really do on it, with a set-up I was more comfortable with.

I said in the OP that it was the most comfortable and easy-to-play guitar I'd ever owned, but that's nothing compared to what it feels like now :lol: It still blows my mind every time I pick it up.