Japanese Knotweed

What's Hot
keithfkeithf Frets: 372
edited July 2017 in Off Topic

is blighting the sale of my house. Its on Network rail's land but

apparently the letter I have off them, stating its their issue

isn't good enough for the buyer's mortgage company.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Sounds like a nightmare.  Have you considered legal action to force Network Rail to do something about it? I'm not qualified to give legal advice but it sounds as though their inaction is blighting your property value.

Looking at the Wikipedia page its up to 3 metre deep invasive roots under a train track could make it virtually impossible to fix without spending millions.  There is a section on that page about some lenders in the UK  slackening their lending ban under certain circumstances.  Maybe your buyer could enquire at Woolwich or Santander?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    'Sorting' it isn't easy.

It can pop up 100 feet/a few houses away easily.

A friend of my mum's had trouble with it - started in a garden a few houses away then sprung up from underground in their garden - not sure if they ever got shot of it :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    If I remember rightly the only sure way to get rid of it is to identify the stems, cut them off above ground level and soak the right type of weedkiller into them, so that it's drawn down into the plant's sap system. Laborious and difficult, especially if the main infestation isn't on your land.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Get a syringe and inject amy of it that is visible with concentrated glycophosphate 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Evilmags said:
    Get a syringe and inject amy of it that is visible with concentrated glycophosphate 
    That's it - I couldn't remember what type of weed killer it was.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• keithfkeithf Frets: 372
    I cant get at it, its on railway property,doing my head in to be honest.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    ICBM said:
    Evilmags said:
    That's it - I couldn't remember what type of weed killer it was.
    Which is going to be banned imminently. Good old health and safety. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Can the buyers convince their lender by getting an idemnity policy. We got one for a covenant on the land for our house and the policy was only about £150 to cover 25 years. Maybe theres is a similar solution here....follow up question would you be willing to sweeten the deal by meeting them on the cost if so? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372
    id happily pay for it
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Killing knotweed is very hard ....even Glysophate is not particularly effective.
    The issue with Knotweed is that it disperses it's rhizomes over a wide area of soil and these remain unaffected by weedkillers until active.
    True remediation involves hauling away huge quantities of contaminated soil.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    My in laws neighbours had it and they got in a real panic.  In the end I think they agreed to go halves with the neighbours to ensure it was treated properly.    Previously the neighbours had just cut it back and claimed it was sorted.

IIRC  It was a few thousand for a few treatments over a couple of years... and no guarantees it wouldn't return.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Used to have it in a corner of my garden at previous house... Setting fire to it actually keeps it in check!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"Oh yes it is"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    You have my sympathies - Convulvulous (neightbours either side aren't keen gardeners and its rampant in both) is bad enough to try and keep on top of (glyphosate only kills back to first rhizome in the root system) - you only need half an inch of root to survive for it to quickly re-stablish. Lord know what you can do with knotweed.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    crunchman said:
    In 10 years time "super genetic siamese cats brought in to tackle UK insect problem"

In 20 years time "Monster dogs released to fight cat epidemic"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom