Why are MPs not subject to the public pay cap?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139
I mean they're employees of the public sector, we pay for them, so why are they not capped in line with everyone else?
A bit of their own medicine would do wonders wouldn't it?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, innit?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    4 legs good, 2 legs bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    To be fair, as a lecturer... If they gave me a choice I would totally raise mine and cap theirs 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Because they make the rules and you fucking follow them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Maybe they should get performance related pay.

£5 a year sounds about fair.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139

Far too bloody generous if you ask me.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Cos they are feckin shite, whichever party they belong to.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    equalsql said:

Far too bloody generous if you ask me.
    Yeah, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hoof said:
    Because MPs pay is handled independently - they are not allowed to set it. And don't forget some of the rises are in lieu of certain expenses. Personally I don't think they get paid enough - the HoC has too many people like JR Mogg who has lots of money ... the pay puts a lot of people off.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited July 2017
    Fretwired said:
    Hoof said:
    Because MPs pay is handled independently - they are not allowed to set it. And don't forget some of the rises are in lieu of certain expenses. Personally I don't think they get paid enough - the HoC has too many people like JR Mogg who has lots of money ... the pay puts a lot of people off.
    This.

Many of the truly talented people are running companies, not countries.
    Why would you make a max £74k plus expenses when you could make £300k+ a year plus stock options and you would not have to deal with all of the media aggro- at least not at the same level.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    octatonic said:
    Why would you make a max £74k plus expenses when you could make £300k+ a year plus stock options and you would not have to deal with all of the media aggro- at least not at the same level.
    Absolutely. Philip Green would make a great PM.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    mart said:
    octatonic said:
    I don't necessarily mean owners of companies.
    I could name a dozen or so pharma industry (because I know a bit about this industry) people who are at the VP to CFO level who would be excellent MP's.
    But it would be a massive step down for them- like 1/4 of their salaries.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    octatonic said:
    Maybe because you've already earned your money in that 300k a year job and you want to do something else?

Also most MPs will go on to earn far more when they leave parliament, so for some, putting up with only 74k per year is an investment in their future.

Its not always about the money.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    mart said:
    octatonic said:
    Spilt my drink laughing at that one...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    MP's make way more money from their job (contacts) than they actually get paid, that's why they do it. How much was Blairs business interests worth? Was it 70 million or something along those lines?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    prowla said:
    4 legs good, 2 legs better.
    FTFY

The problem with applying the pay cap to them is that they're not actually public employees.

I also think they should be paid more - it sounds wrong, but if you look at it unemotionally and logically then they really should… because as already said it would make it less unattractive as a career for capable people. I don't believe that you always 'have to pay the going rate to get the right people' - in fact I think it can actually attract the *wrong* people, ie you get greedy but second-rate ones - but there does come a point where it takes a certain kind of fool to want to do it for the little they really get - or one with a second source of income, ie not giving the job their full attention.

In the grand scheme of things even the combined wages of 650 MPs is pretty trivial anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You mean having a house in London bought and furnished by us so they don't have to commute 20 miles isn't enough for them? or claiming expenses for such things as free view? poor we darlings
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    robgilmo said:
    You mean having a house in London bought and furnished by us so they don't have to commute 20 miles isn't enough for them? or claiming expenses for such things as free view? poor we darlings
    No, I mean they should be paid a proper salary so they don't need to - and shouldn't be allowed to - pull stunts like that. The whole expenses scandal has its origins in exactly this - in order to avoid the publicly unpopular increase in MPs' pay, a previous government (Thatcher's, I think) decided to allow them to claim much more in the way of expenses instead. Then many of them - as people often do when given a golden opportunity with no obvious catch - took the piss.

Although not all, it's fair to say.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    The thing that I never understood was all the fuss about MP expense fiddles but not a peep about all of the equally widespread local government corruption.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Possibly because most think people who lead should lead by example? But then again its not just our government who are corrupt, but when a government introduces pay caps and cuts and basically put people in the situation where they have toi rely on food banks to survive claiming for a second home and lush furnishings doesn't really fill people with confidence.