New Vox AC15 & AC30!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    jpfamps said:

I think the price reflects the cost of producing the amp in UK to be honest.

I think that these may appeal to people who wouldn't want to risk genuine AC30 on the road.
    Bit replacing a genuine one would be cheaper. I wouldn't want to risk the reissue!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    riscado said:
    Not trying to repeat myself, but for a great vox tone... magic amps. My favourite ac30 has always been my 1964 bass model (no top boost) ac30 with grey alnicos. I've also had "jmi" replicas, both an ac30 and a twin ac15. The magic amps X-brit makes me not miss the 64 ac30 anymore.
    what did you think of the JMI replicas ?- I have got their prototype AC 15 .....probably 10 years old now and I have hardly ever played it but is sounds great -mine has a Tayden Ace Alnico in it . How do these compare to originals?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    When I bought those two amps, I had them ordered with celestion alnico blues rather than the tayden speakers they were usually shipped with. The company was very shady to deal with, long after the amps were ordered there was a long time of silence. The circuit assembly was good (Steve G did the work, not sure if he is still in business, he had a vintage pedal workshop), he then passed the chassis to JMI.

There was some lack of attention to detail on the final assembly (JMI's side of the operation), like washers and retainers missing from places where they should have been. The amps were good, but nothing really inspiring at first. Mind you around this time I also had a 1964 ac30, so these amps had an original to live up to.

As time went by and the speakers started breaking in they did start to sound a feel much closer to the original Vox I had. I still always felt like the transformers weren't of the highest quality. But otherwise they were well built and sounded/felt convincing. So overall I was happy, and I do feel like they're better than newer vox releases.

I still think the Magic amps I now have is in a completely different league for touch sensitivity and overall tone. I has the sound I'm used to from old ac30s, in a smaller package.

Here are some photos of the JMIs and the old ac30 as well that I had (I no longer have those amps):

https://flic.kr/s/aHskZFouJK

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom