Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2017
    God damn internet! Remembering everything you say!  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    bigjon said:
    octatonic said:
    bigjon said:

As I said before, once I am presented with a final list I will work hard to make positive contributions to the songs and make the whole event as enjoyable as possible for everyone. I am available as a drummer (reasonable, not expert, probably about grade 7 standard) so you won't need to drum on all the songs if you don't want to.
    Thank you but I've got the set covered for drumming.
    All you need to do on the day is turn up and play guitar.
    I realise you are experienced but so are a lot of us.
    There will be a second room than you could potentially play drums in, I'll let one of the others comment on what gear needs to be brought, I don't have much to do with that.
    I'm in this to play guitar, so I'll be happy not to play drums at all the whole day, ditto singing / keys / bass.
    Equally happy to do singing / keys / bass / drums in whichever room as and when requested. You did after all initially request help on the drumming front :-)
    octatonic said:
    Does anyone else play drums?
    If so then I will bring along a guitar as well and we can change about.
    Yes I did, and in the intervening time the decision was made to expand the set to allow for more songs to be included which means we need a consistent backline.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    God damn internet! Selectively quoting everything you say!  
    FTFY
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Post your top 5 songs that you would like to have a go at and we will endeavour to match you up to at least some of your top 5. Maybe all 5, maybe not. If one is really popular then we may run it twice and ditch something really unpopular. Pease identify your standard when giving us your requests - beginner/intermediate/expert - don't lie either (you will see why in a bit)

In the meantime, we will agree keys of each and so forth and post here. 

I will be brutally honest here and no offence intended - learning 5 songs in 6 weeks is a huge undertaking for an intermediate player let alone a beginner. Don't be a hero. If you want to sign up for just one, then more power and sense to you. 

For the experts - we will match you up to beginners to help them through their chosen songs - you can have a good widdle fest, but remember the main aim is to help the beginner through it - it's all about them..

Let me tell you how I see it from my point of view - I'm a gigging bass player. I'm not a bass hero, nor am I a beginner. 5 or so songs is probly my limit given all the other prep and organising this will need. I'll play those 5, but I'm there to help the beginners, not to show how great my bass playing is - which is a bloody good job frankly. The key difference is I am very comfortable playing with other musicians, I do it week in and out with drums, keys, guitars and vocals. That's the experience I bring along. That's where I'm going to focus my help. 

So - keep it simple in your replies - give us your top 5 songs, and your ability level. 

Any questions - Ask.
    For guitar, put me down for whatever is least popular with everyone else and I'll give it a crack. Ability level - competent semi-pro.

For singing / bass / keys / drums (ability level - good / semi-pro / semi-pro / intermediate to good) happy to contribute to any song in either room as required. All Right Now in the original key is right at the top of my singing range, so I can manage Cynical in Drop D if that's wanted.

Below are the songs from the list which I already sing / play in my band or at jam-nights, but as I say I will willingly mug up any of the others.

Mustang Sally - Just about everyone

Allright Now - Free

Crossroads - Eric Clapton

Midnight Hour - Wilson Picket

Call me the Breeze - J.J.Cale

Beat It - Michael Jackson

Sunshine of your Love - Cream

Foxy lady - Hendrix

Hard to handle - Black Crowes

Roadhouse Blues - The Doors

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26588
    bigjon said:

...so I can manage Cynical in Drop D if that's wanted.
    Reckon you could sing that and play bass? I realise it's a bit of a stretch, given that the bass and vocals are in completely different rhythms.
    <space for hire>
    edited July 2017
    Alnico said:
    Ok....

You'll Notice that I haven't posted Key signatures next to them yet.

That will be done once us 3 have discussed the best approach to that to make it as easy as possible for every one.
    Again, this is work on our part that we have to fit in.

For now It won't hurt you to learn them as per the original record and for most of you, trying to figure that out by yourselves won't hurt you. You do after all have the internet right in front of you !

Part of this requires work on your part so put some in yourselves for a day or so while we figure this out.

If you learned a song in E and then we say we're actually going to play it in D then you've learned two valuable lessons throughout the process.

1 - How to transpose something

2 - What it's like to be in a real - life Band. This shit happens allthe time so suck that bit up and call it experience you've gained.

Right.....

GO !

Just beginning this process. Here's the first 3 songs of the spreadsheet I used with one of the bands I depped for:-
    SetlistTitleKeyMiscellaneous remarksYoutubeBand
    101True Love WaysC (orig Bb)Sax part on gtr? Also check Peter & Gordon versionxhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSZ84u8A4akBuddy Holly
    102Bring It Home To MeE[Intro E B E B! ] - [End E A xlots]xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4x9Rb0eFdcThe Animals
    103Let it beCREMEMBER KEYS INTERLUDE b4 solo!xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBnJw-H2wQBeatles
    The process for each song is - find a youtube version of each song to learn from, listen and play along, establish the original key, and make brief notes as an aide-memoire to check as we go along in the gig before each song, eg the Let It Be comment because I'm tempted to launch straight into the guitar solo without waiting for the short organ tag after the chorus.

I'll post the youtube links as I go, but not the keys or my notes - Alnico wants us to do our own homework ;-)

Edited to try and stop the Forum software from parsing the youtube links!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

I've narrowed mine to four that I can gel with and happy to listen to as well as give a shot at learning to play. And depending how I get on with these, my list might stay four or might be reduced - I hope that doesn't present any problems:

• Call me the Breeze - J.J.Cale
    • Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty
    • Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
    • Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

No guarantees that I'll nail them properly, but I am a gonna have fun trying....

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Right then...........

@octatonic and @Bridgehouse are currently organising the song list for the main room and the associated keys therein.

I am organising the amplifier shootout, tech / set up work and second room goings on.

This does NOT mean I won't be joining in the main jam in the main room, this is purely from an organisational point of view.
    On the day we 3 will be floating between both rooms and keeping everything fresh and as the 3 of us can all do the same things more or less equally well (With the exception of Octatonic being a drummer) then we can all take-over from each other as and when needed to.

So,

In the second room, we will be having a slightly different Jam as well as the other stuff that will be going on in there.
    Now, As this room is being used for other things as well, it will NOT be anything like the song list we have for the main room.
    This Jam will be the more adventurous and possibly experimental affair.

At this point in time, I'm looking for *some* suggestions, however, When I say enough is enough on that front, that's what that means and once those songs are decided on then that's final.
    For this Room, it would appear that one of the drummers will be @mrkb .

So to get things started here, I will put forward our first suggestion for this room's jam and start with

Hotel California

It's already patently obvious that this smaller Jam is less about the beginners but that doesn't mean they can't get involved, not by any means. What it does mean is that if there are some who want more complex songs to try out, this is the room you'll be able to do that in but this Jam will be only for shorter periods of time and broken up into 30 minute slots throughout the afternoon so realistically we will only be looking for 6 - 8 songs in total here because we still want the main room to be the main focus for songs and Jamming and the second room is fulfilling way more functions than just playing songs.

So I'll give this a little while for people to suggest *some* songs of the more in depth / complex variety and then when I feel like we've got enough of them, I'll close this side of it and discuss with the other two exactly how many we'll use and which ones.

A question that was asked early on by @slacker was "Are you going to have an Itinerary?"

The answer is Yes, we discussed this today and as we get closer to being fully nailed down and close to the day, we will publish an itinerary for people to refer to and for us to work roughly to.
    I say roughly because this whole thing is a friendly, social affair and we are NOT providing a service, nor have you bought tickets to a show. We are doing our best and we will endeavour to keep doing that but if at any point people feel that "This Isn't Good Enough !" etc, we would all rather you chill out and keep those feelings out of it. As a friendly bunch of people we are doing our best to run a FUN afternoon for YOU, so bear with us.

Ok?

Let's have your suggestions for Room 2 Songs (Just songs please, we know what else we're doing with Room 2).

In a day or two, we will look at which songs work best here.
    As an off the top of my head Idea...... @bigjon , would you like to do Pink Floyd in this room? It would be more fitting and also We could include another PF song so that 30 minute slot will be mostly *that* style.
    This means that each 30 minute slot in Room 2 has a theme.

Suggestions please..........
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:
    Ok....

You'll Notice that I haven't posted Key signatures next to them yet.

That will be done once us 3 have discussed the best approach to that to make it as easy as possible for every one.
    Again, this is work on our part that we have to fit in.

For now It won't hurt you to learn them as per the original record and for most of you, trying to figure that out by yourselves won't hurt you. You do after all have the internet right in front of you !

Part of this requires work on your part so put some in yourselves for a day or so while we figure this out.

If you learned a song in E and then we say we're actually going to play it in D then you've learned two valuable lessons throughout the process.

1 - How to transpose something

2 - What it's like to be in a real - life Band. This shit happens allthe time so suck that bit up and call it experience you've gained.

Right.....

GO !

Just beginning this process. Here's the first 3 songs of the spreadsheet I used with one of the bands I depped for:-
    SetlistTitleKeyMiscellaneous remarksYoutubeBand
    101True Love WaysC (orig Bb)Sax part on gtr? Also check Peter & Gordon versionxhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSZ84u8A4akBuddy Holly
    102Bring It Home To MeE[Intro E B E B! ] - [End E A xlots]xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4x9Rb0eFdcThe Animals
    103Let it beCREMEMBER KEYS INTERLUDE b4 solo!xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBnJw-H2wQBeatles
    The process for each song is - find a youtube version of each song to learn from, listen and play along, establish the original key, and make brief notes as an aide-memoire to check as we go along in the gig before each song, eg the Let It Be comment because I'm tempted to launch straight into the guitar solo without waiting for the short organ tag after the chorus.

I'll post the youtube links as I go, but not the keys or my notes - Alnico wants us to do our own homework ;-)

Edited to try and stop the Forum software from parsing the youtube links!
    Titles / Artists and Youtube links ONLY in a spreadsheet at this link - 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11BMKudp6sVsNuSV2TzKKM9G3R1TUyI5w67vDBDNyBPg

Have fun!
    Can I just remind everyone that WE will confirm the keys for each song soon.
    Jon is offering you a way of finding the original keys and like I said earlier, which he's quoted me as saying, it will be good practice in general HOWEVER if this changes when WE make the final decision on what key we're using, Like I said in that quote, it's part of the process so you'll have to suck that up.

I hope THAT bit is clear to everyone?
    @bigjon 's links are good for getting the original tune and key as @Alnico has said - and it's a useful way of getting the tune to play along to!

However, when the final list is out it will denote the key - so please check and make sure you do your homework to learn the song well enough that you know what key you are in ;)
    Alnico said:

Let's have your suggestions for Room 2 Songs (Just songs please, we know what else we're doing with Room 2).

In a day or two, we will look at which songs work best here.
    As an off the top of my head Idea...... @bigjon , would you like to do Pink Floyd in this room? It would be more fitting and also We could include another PF song so that 30 minute slot will be mostly *that* style.
    This means that each 30 minute slot in Room 2 has a theme.

Yes, please! I do Another Brick in the spirit of PF but not in the exact style, rather in a much more open, jammable format. I think lots of you would enjoy having a go and listening to what each other comes up with. It's only 4 chords and it's all do-able in D minor pentatonic, so it's accessible to everyone.
    What of the previously suggested idea of closing the session with Comfortably Numb?
    fandango said:
    What of the previously suggested idea of closing the session with Comfortably Numb?
    I say we could do that as a widdlefest closer in the second room - try and get as many in on it as possible... would be a laugh if nothing else.

We will stick with the confirmed list for the main room, but I don't see why we couldn't do it in room 2, eh @Alnico?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:
    I say we could do that as a widdlefest closer in the second room - try and get as many in on it as possible... would be a laugh if nothing else.

We will stick with the confirmed list for the main room, but I don't see why we couldn't do it in room 2, eh @Alnico?
    I'd be more than happy to do that.

'Comfy' is one of my go to songs, I know it backwards and I'm more than happy to play lead and sing RW's part.
    If we do indeed have a PF 30 minute slot in Room 2 (Which I would be surprised if we don't !), we can have it right at the end of the Afternoon as the last thing Room 2 does and make the last song of the day, 'Comfy'.

No problem whatsoever, in fact I'm genuinely excited to do it.
    So is my Strat, I can feel it buzzing about it already.

@fandango ............GREAT idea.
    :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11759
    @Alnico I'd request to get involved on

Plug In Baby
    Beat It
    Anarchy In The UK

If any song is short and you need someone to play some chords, I'll happily support the band.

Wouldn't mind trying a bit of singing on any of those either.

Skill wise I've been playing on and off for years, but still on the lower end of intermediate.

I do have an issue where I turn to jelly when people can hear me play that I'd love the jam to help me get over, that might reduce me to a sloppy beginner if it kicks in!

Could go either way, could end up trying to Hang with you guys as much as possible to play with others more , I could end up chucking my gear in the skip  on the way out! :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    I'd like to play Hard to handle (rhythm and lead bits) and foxy lady (rhythm) please. I'm an intermediate (barre chords and Pentatonic) type of player.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    fandango said:

I've narrowed mine to four that I can gel with and happy to listen to as well as give a shot at learning to play. And depending how I get on with these, my list might stay four or might be reduced - I hope that doesn't present any problems:

No guarantees that I'll nail them properly, but I am a gonna have fun trying....

Should have mentioned, i'm beyond beginner, but classing myself an intermediate might invoke the trade descriptions act.
    fandango said:
    fandango said:

Should have mentioned, i'm beyond beginner, but classing myself an intermediate might invoke the trade descriptions act.
    I think a lot of us can relate to that,

I hope I'm in the room and in with the band for Roadhouse Blues!
    It's definitely one of the few I sing well and there's a way of playing it as a two guitar piece that I can work out with you, just a simple trading licks thing but it's very effective and we could use room 2 for 5-10 minutes beforehand to go through it so I can show you what I mean. It doesn't change the song in any way but breaking up the main licks like that can really add some depth to the song. I usually play as the only guitarist on stage in a 3 piece so it's a great opportunity to expand the song a little.

I guess the same can be said for 'Running down a dream' but I do know that it would make Colin's day to play that one @not_the_dj so I'll see what he says first plus as I write this there may well be others interested in that song.
    I kind of REALLY want to do at least ONE rendition of 'Pretty Vacant'.

It is to me, THE most FUN song to perform in the history of music I think. It might not be my top favourite song in the world as such but very little comes close for me at Jam Sessions like this than playing THAT song.
    What an intro!
    If anyone hasn't heard the 'Joan Jett' cover version of this song yet, look it up it's really good.

Good choices @fandango ;
    mrkb said:
    I'd like to play Hard to handle (rhythm and lead bits) and foxy lady (rhythm) please. I'm an intermediate (barre chords and Pentatonic) type of player.
    That doesn't sound impossible at all Mark.
    Good choices.
    :)