SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - 12" Alnico speaker - 16 ohm - 65W

glt56glt56 Frets: 209
edited July 2017 in Amps £
Looking for a nice 12" Alnico 16 ohm guitar speaker rated around 65W.  Maybe a Celestion Gold/Cream, or quite fancy trying the Fane Ascension A60?  Also open to suggestions, maybe Weber, Tone Tubby, Tayden.... whatever.  I want to try one in my Brunetti Singleman 35 instead of the Celestion V30, so clarity is the key word here! Thanks!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Are you the guy that got in touch about the cone-crying one I was selling on Ebay by any chance?  =)

I've heard fantastic things about the Cream, though never experienced one myself.
  • glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    Cirrus said:
    Are you the guy that got in touch about the cone-crying one I was selling on Ebay by any chance?  =)

I've heard fantastic things about the Cream, though never experienced one myself.
    I am indeed, and thanks again for your superb reply too... very interesting!  I see you sold it pretty quickly afterwards, nice one.  I think the Cream is a higher wattage isn't it?  Might be a bit too much for the Brunetti.  I would like to try the Fane though, I believe they are really nice.  I've got a Celestion Gold in an Ampeg Jet J-20 which sounds awesome, and a standard Celestion Creamback (not Alnico) in a Morgan RCA35R which also sounds good, but I am not too sure about the V30 currently in the Brunetti.  I also have a Weber in an original '65 Fender Deluxe which is to die for...
    So you can see I'm trying 'em all out, one by one!  :#
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited July 2017
    That's the way to do it though - you can research the sound of different speakers 'til you're blue in the face, but there's no replacement for actually hearing them!

In my experience, too much speaker is rarely a big deal unless you really want a compressed/ spongy/ amp exploding sound. Anything more than a few watts is enough to drive a guitar speaker comfortably into giving up its tone, and anything over about half the rated wattage and you're going to begin hearing some major speaker compression.

Scumback do, IIRC, a 65 watt alnico speaker which is pretty well regarded. Someone on here was selling an AC30 about 6 months ago with a pair of them in, though I can't find the for sale thread now...

I had a Weber Blue dog and Silver Bell, they're both nice alnico speakers although lower sensitivity and softer sounding that Celestion Blue/ Golds, so I found them great recording speakers but a bit easy to flub out live. The Tayden Ace 25s I had were fantastic, a little clearer and a little tighter than the Blues I had at the time to compare to, so I assume their 50 watt versions would also be great although I don't even know if they're in production any more, they very rarely come up. I also had to get both reconed over the two years I had them because they developed very, very slight voice coil rub... though the distributor was very good in fixing them.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Might be worth auditioning an Eminence Red Fang - they're still my favourite higher wattage 'blue-a-like'.  I've not tried a Creamback or the Taydens though.

From memory, the Weber Blue Dog @Cirrus refers too was once mine (I swapped it for your Celestion Blue for it I think?) and I echo his sentiments - they're too smooth and rounded compared to a Celestion Blue if clarity is what you're looking for.  I'm not a lover of the Gold, they don't have the punch that the Blues have.

I did once have a 100 watt Fane AXA alnico speaker and it had practically zero top end.  It really worked in higher gain applications, but for clarity I'd look elsewhere.

Just out of interests, what don't you like about the V30?  It might help with suggestions.  The V30 is a clear speaker IMHO - it seems to have this spike in the low treble range that cuts through (some like it, many don't - me included).

Dodge said:
    Just out of interests, what don't you like about the V30?  It might help with suggestions.  The V30 is a clear speaker IMHO - it seems to have this spike in the low treble range that cuts through (some like it, many don't - me included).

Hi mate, yes I find it a bit lacking in warmth, and almost piercing to the point of jarring if you know what I mean?  Very "clinical"?  How the hell do you explain sound... not easy!  I'm looking for that elusive "bell-like" quality. I do tend to play Teles and Strats which doesn't help I suppose.  :s  It's much nicer with my Les Paul and SG though!  :3
    :/ ?
    As Inspector Clouseau would say...
    Beump  :#