Which amp if Marshall made it would you be racing to the guitar shop to buy ?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
     A twin channel marshall, similar specs for each channel (TMB + master, both in the "clean to crunch" region), a good, well bufferred effects loop and a stereo power amp, probably not much more than five or ten watts a side, with a 1 watt (total) Setting and tolerant of one, two or no speakers connected, with a reasonable, speaker simmed, line out.

The loop would connect at the front too, so you don't have to contort checking or conecting.

Such a beast would suit a large spectrum of users and allow the effective use of pedals.  Bits of it are around, but not collectively in an amp I've seen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited July 2017
    Plectrum said:
    I played a JVM head once and I recall thinking it had a green channel, an orange channel  and a hiss channel.

Not quite The JVM 4 series has 4 channels. The 2 series has 2 channels. Each channel has 3 modes - green, orange and red - giving progressively more gain to that channel. So Clean channel green mode is very, very clean with the orange and red modes lowering the point at which it starts to break up. At the opposite end OD2 channel red has utterly insane levels of gain which I personally could never contemplate using but I'm not a metal player.
    I have to say I don't really understand the amount of gain available on the JVM and DSL red modes either tbh, it's just too much even for metal. Much better off on green or orange and boosting with a tubescreamer or sd1. Some great tones available on the JVM though, a lot of people asking for a Marshall channel switcher would probably be happy with one if you spend a bit of time tweaking it and again, making sure the gain isn't set too high. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    I know someone who sometimes uses the red mode of channel 4 on a JVM410 with the gain up full, *and* a Tube Screamer.

He isn't a teenager - or an idiot - he's a very good and experienced player... he just likes to use a lot of gain sometimes, mostly for Satriani-type solos. In fact I recommended that he bought the JVM when I read reviews about channel 4 having 'more gain than anyone would ever need'... I thought it might possibly have enough for him. I was still wrong :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    A 30 watt version of the Satriani head would interest me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    2061x sized head or smaller.
    16-20w, clean to crunch, not high gain.
    2x 6V6.
    Vol, Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence.

Something like that might be nice.
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Handwired 50w Smallbox jtm black flag el34 with valve rectification.
  • Joey2014Joey2014 Frets: 42
    I'd love a switchable 2204/1996 (JMP/Super Bass) mini-head. Something that doesn't break my back! :smile: 
    Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited July 2017
    A DSL401 style amp with a decent FX loop in a 2 x 12 Bluesbreaker style cab. I'd call it a Hotbreaker & sell it for £999. I think I'd sell loads. 

The other product is an Original mk 1 Guv'nor. But in a better made box like a J Rockett Archer style thing. They'd sell bucketloadd of them. I mean imagine if Ibanez had never reissued the Tubescreamer. It makes no commercial sense!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    ICBM said:
    I know someone who sometimes uses the red mode of channel 4 on a JVM410 with the gain up full, *and* a Tube Screamer.

He isn't a teenager - or an idiot - he's a very good and experienced player... he just likes to use a lot of gain sometimes, mostly for Satriani-type solos. In fact I recommended that he bought the JVM when I read reviews about channel 4 having 'more gain than anyone would ever need'... I thought it might possibly have enough for him. I was still wrong :).
    I think the amount of gain you use is down to how you play and how it feels to play. If you're used to a little bit of break-up, you'll find higher levels of gain more difficult to work with, and the same the other way.

I'd love to hear that bloke play though (genuinely!).
  • Bidley said:
    ICBM said:

I think the amount of gain you use is down to how you play and how it feels to play. If you're used to a little bit of break-up, you'll find higher levels of gain more difficult to work with, and the same the other way.

It's funny, for mad, compressed, "liquid lead" stuff (satch and vai come to mind) I've found an sd-1 into a ds-1 into a Marshall (that is also a bit driven) gets you there. 

That's mad levels of distortion - no sloppy technique allowed, every single *touch* of the string will be rendered at the same sort of volume as hitting the low e. 

It does sound good though! 
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Friedman smallbox, no wait.....  =)
    edited July 2017
    Bidley said:

@Bidley - here you go… found this old demo on his Facebook page. This is something approaching his trademark levels of gain , and although he seems to be plugged into a JCM900 it says in the comments that it was recorded straight into a Zoom 1266.

https://www.facebook.com/david.may.714/videos/217084944986468/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26617
    @ICBM - you might want to include a link in that...
    <space for hire>
    I thought I did, but it didn't seem to copy the first time :).

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    20 watt versions of a JTM, Plexi, 2203 and JVM. Built in boosts and selectable rectifying for the non masters, a basic clean channel and fx loop for the MV amps. No reverbs or anything. 

Basically their 1watt amp concept made giggavle. Price then similarly to Orange TH30 etc or around the £1k mark if uk built.