Grrrr Firebird issues

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
got my gorgeous firebird courtesy of coda (and mrs Travis of course) but there's been a creeping problem with it that seems to have got worse.

Its the worst ringing frets/strings I've ever heard on open strings and all the major chords specifically frets 1-4 and the G B E strings. I've tweaked the truss rod to no avail. I can't slacken it any more as it's already totally loose and the moment you put any tension on it the problem gets far far far worse.

I can't  feel any high frets but Doug assured me it had a set up before leaving the shop and I'm sure they would have found that.

Could it have taken a knock in transit 

any ideas? I desperately want to use it for Saturdays big festival we are headlining but it's getting progressively unplayable *sad face*
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Nut slots or action too low?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Or the nut cut too flat with no rearward slope ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited July 2017
    Yeah I think it has to be nut based  - string height/action has no affect until the strings are so high you could sit under them
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    If it's doing it on frets 1-4 as well as the open strings it's probably not the nut. If it's doing in on the GBE strings but not the DAE, it sounds worryingly like a neck twist.

It may not have been obvious or even present in the shop if they didn't have it in stock long and it's developed since.

Hopefully I'm wrong, because if I'm not then you'll be using a different guitar for the gig :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Check to see you've not turned the truss rod the wrong way? I'm sure I've got one guitar where the truss rod goes anti clockwise to tighten, and feels positive in both directions, which completely baffled me.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    ICBM said:
    If it's doing it on frets 1-4 as well as the open strings it's probably not the nut. If it's doing in on the GBE strings but not the DAE, it sounds worryingly like a neck twist.

It may not have been obvious or even present in the shop if they didn't have it in stock long and it's developed since.

Hopefully I'm wrong, because if I'm not then you'll be using a different guitar for the gig :(.
    @icbm that thought had crossed my mind
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    A change in humidity between the shop and your home could be enough to affect the wood. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    If you put the guitar flat on a table with the headstock hanging over the end and sight down the neck from the head, does the nut end of the fingerboard look noticeably off level? It may be slightly harder to judge with the asymetrical Firebird headstock than a standard Gibson one, but it should at least give some clue, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Check the thumb wheels on the bridge.
  • Sorry to resurrect an old thread!  Been looking at these non-reverse firebirds and was wondering did you ever resolve the problems you were experiencing and what did it turn out to be? Wondered if it was something I should keep an eye out for.