Strat tuning stability issues..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Some owners pick up a new USA strat and lower the action using the bridge posts. From the factory they're set up with clearance at the back of the trem (re: ICBM comments).  Instead of adjusting the individual saddles, they deck the trem when lowering the post screws.

A good indication of this having been carried out is a slight knock when releasing the trem. Although I'm sure some leave the Fender factory like it as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Checked it over again and people were right, the bottom of the 2 pivot screws is screwed down to far to allow it to pull back.. So that explains that..

I've ordered a new bridge pickup so will try to set it up properly when fitting that.. It's still going out of tune badly at the moment, especially the G-string. I'm thinking I might just block the term off and use it as a hard tail.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    ESBlonde said:
    Roit Yar!

Lots of great advice so far. You have to eliminate the nut as the problem first because probably nine times out of ten it is.
    A simple test, tune up, bend a nore on the string, check tuning, is it flat? Retune, this time bend the string behind the nut, check tuning, is it now sharp? It the answer to both is yes then the nut slot is a problem (it might not be the whole problem but you must eliminate it). Repeat for all strings.
    Polish, file, fettle the slots and lubricate with pencile graphite and maybe vasaline.

Thanks.. did that and it does look like the nut. I've loosened the strings ogg and went over with a pencil and now seems a lot better.. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I use a mixture of Vaseline and the powdered graphite locksmiths use. Apply to the nut slots with a cocktail stick and you can also lubricate the saddles with it as the Vaseline means it stays where you put it. Works as well as Nut Sauce but it's a lot cheaper.