Help me for I have discovered Prog

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:

Another rule I have is: anything with a Roger Dean cover.
    Are/were Uriah Heep and Osibisa prog?
    Well Uriah Heap were definitely proggy in their time. But yeah, Osibisa, not so much. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:

Another rule I have is: anything with a Roger Dean cover.
    Are/were Uriah Heep and Osibisa prog?
    Well Uriah Heap were definitely proggy in their time. But yeah, Osibisa, not so much. 
    Yeah, I was just being a smartarse really.  I like Uriah Heep, to me they're pretty much a classic heavy rock band but they did have some proggy elements.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    +1 for It Bites (both eras)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Haken
    Frost*
    Beardfish
    Tilt
    Airbag
    Aeryon
    Big Big Train
    Von Herzten Bros
    Keno
    It Bites
    Porcupine Tree
    Pinapple Thief
    Caligulas Horse
    Dead Letter Circus
    Karnivool
    Sky Harbour

should keep you busy. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Lots of good suggestions already but some of mine that I don't see mentioned are:

King Crimson  - Live In Toronto, Thrak.
    Frost* - Milliontown

Blacklight Machine is gorgeous 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Wishbone ash "pilgrimage "not mentioned yet,and The Groundhogs "split".
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    TYA - Stonedhenge is a bit proggy too
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Wishbone ash "pilgrimage "not mentioned yet,and The Groundhogs "split".
    Split? Really? Great as it is, and I'm a Groundhogs fan, it's pretty much a straight heavy rock album with some blues thrown in. Tony McPhee did do some more experimental stuff that's more prog flavoured: The Hunt on his Two sides of Tony McPhee album, maybe some of Who Will Save the World? but not Split. 
  • boogieman said:
    Split? Really? Great as it is, and I'm a Groundhogs fan, it's pretty much a straight heavy rock album with some blues thrown in. Tony McPhee did do some more experimental stuff that's more prog flavoured: The Hunt on his Two sides of Tony McPhee album, maybe some of Who Will Save the World? but not Split. 
    I'll better go sit on the naughty step. =)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    If you want to discover more prog check out this list of albums that Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth has mentioned in interviews and on his blog:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Chrysostome/mikael_akerfeldt_the_record_collector/

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    edited July 2017
    Tull's "folk trilogy" of albums are must-listens. Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch are all excellent. Minstrel in the Gallery is also brilliant, possibly my favourite album.

Genesis' Selling England by the Pound is awesome too. Kansas's Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are amazing. As are 'V' and Snow by Spock's Beard.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    If you want to discover more prog check out this list of albums that Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth has mentioned in interviews and on his blog:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Chrysostome/mikael_akerfeldt_the_record_collector/

A couple I mentioned are on there. His list is very much a "look at Cathedral thanks list" affair.
    Bidley said:

Kansas's Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are amazing.
    Agreed.  I think the first album and Song for America are also great and very underrated.  In fact I like all the albums with the original lineup, although the reunion effort Somewhere to Elsewhere was disappointing.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    Not Prog in a "long keyboard solos and mythic artwork" kind of way but Mansun's second album (confusingly called Six) is proggy and conceptual.

yes, Mansun of Wide Open Space fame. Honest, it's a weird album. Have a listen on Spotify, but make sure you get past the fairly "normal" first couple or so songs.

boogieman said:
    I'll better go sit on the naughty step. =)
    Ha ha, nah it's cool. There seems to be a zillion interpretations of what prog actually is. Split's a great album whatever it is.  ;)
  • If no one has mentioned Ozric Tentacles yet; I will. Ozric Tentacles. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Philly_Q said:
    Bidley said:

Kansas's Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are amazing.
    Agreed.  I think the first album and Song for America are also great and very underrated.  In fact I like all the albums with the original lineup, although the reunion effort Somewhere to Elsewhere was disappointing.
    I haven't really listened to them, I'll have to check them out.

They did a few good songs in the 80s when Steve Walsh came back, but the golden era was definitely the Livgren/Reinhardt/Walsh et al days.
    Bidley said:
    They did a few good songs in the 80s when Steve Walsh came back, but the golden era was definitely the Livgren/Reinhardt/Walsh et al days.

Agreed.  Livgren brought the songs and Walsh, I think, was the nearest thing they had to an edgy rock'n'roll guy (despite being a keyboard player).

I listened to a few tracks from the new Kansas studio album last night, it's OK but very very bland.  Even the covers of "Home on the Range" and "Oh Shenandoah" sound slick and over-produced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Have to mention Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells. Also Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations. He starts introducing more song-based, pop elements after that. Also, he's a fantastic guitarist who is rarely mentioned as such. Unique style and sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    I feel an obligation to mention Devin Townsend and Tool.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ