Best 10 albums of 2017 so far............

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22901
    Rocker said:
    Instead of asking "Where do you get the time to actually listen to that many albums?", my question should have been 'Where do you go to learn about recent or good new albums?' I don't listen to music while on the move. Don't use Spotify. And there are no local music shops not forgetting that the pop radio stations are voiced/targeted for young people, thus irritating for me to listen to. Also Ed Sheerin doesn't count as music, new or otherwise....

Don't or don't want to?  If it's the latter, fair enough, but the last few years I've found it the best place to learn about new music, or older music which might appeal based on what I already like.  Their "related artists" links are a goldmine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Rocker said:
    Instead of asking "Where do you get the time to actually listen to that many albums?", my question should have been 'Where do you go to learn about recent or good new albums?' I don't listen to music while on the move. Don't use Spotify. And there are no local music shops not forgetting that the pop radio stations are voiced/targeted for young people, thus irritating for me to listen to. Also Ed Sheerin doesn't count as music, new or otherwise....

Don't or don't want to?  If it's the latter, fair enough, but the last few years I've found it the best place to learn about new music, or older music which might appeal based on what I already like.  Their "related artists" links are a goldmine.

I don’t use Spotify … it’s not convenient for work, in the car etc. To find new music – I read reviews on Pitchfork, Drowned in Sound etc. I check new releases on Itunes every week and listen to the clips. If I see something that looks good I check them out on Youtube. A purchase on Itunes or amazon will follow if I like. I gave up on free downloads after too many viruses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9721
    My absolute favourite this year is Sempa Femina by Laura Marling. Beautiful stuff. I've not really listened to much else but very much enjoyed the Harry Styles effort, much to my surprise. Father John Misty's one also gets an honourable mention (thank you Spotify for that one)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28326

I don’t use Spotify … it’s not convenient for work, in the car etc.

I use Spotify in the car - I save my Discover Weekly list to my phone every Monday, then put it in offline mode. I also have a load of stuff I like saved - quite often I just go to "Songs" and do shuffle play.

I use it at work too - Spotify client on the PC, using Spotify Connect to my phone and then to wireless earbuds. At home it's Spotify Connect to a Gramofon in the office and another in the workshop, and a Roberts Stream 93i in the kitchen.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

I don’t use Spotify … it’s not convenient for work, in the car etc.

I use Spotify in the car - I save my Discover Weekly list to my phone every Monday, then put it in offline mode. I also have a load of stuff I like saved - quite often I just go to "Songs" and do shuffle play.

I use it at work too - Spotify client on the PC, using Spotify Connect to my phone and then to wireless earbuds. At home it's Spotify Connect to a Gramofon in the office and another in the workshop, and a Roberts Stream 93i in the kitchen.
    Sounds like a great setup; I'm always a few years behind with technology. My car stereo's aux mode vanished after a flat battery so can't connect phone or ipod and have not yet found a garage that can sort it. Dont want to stream in work as they monitor usage. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    This year I seem to be playing catchup with stuff that I missed out on years ago.

Of this years releases these are my top 3 so far:

1. Menzingers - After The Party
    2. 68 - Two Parts Viper
    3. Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes - Modern Ruin

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    d8m said:
    Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes - Modern Ruin
    I didn't get this album at all. Loved Blossom which felt like another decent Gallows album. This one does absolutely nothing for me.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I couldn't name 10... Ryan Adams, Prisoner is probably my favourite so far.