Solid state Combo amp?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2017
    /\ classic user error - you dial your Session clean with a hint of distortion  mixed and drive from the front with a pedal or two... Then you get great organic Tube-like drive...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sessionette - either the 75 or 90

Yes, had a 75 for years, reliable, portable, loud. Have no desire for anything else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ classic user error - you dial your Session clean with a hint of distortion  mixed and drive from the front with a pedal or two... Then you get great organic Tube-like drive...
    That's the point - you shouldn't need pedals!!  I'm referring to how the amp sounds on its own.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    57Deluxe said:

It's not a good amp if you need a pedal to get good tones. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I had a Sessionette 75 years ago and I quite liked it's clean sound, very punchy and clear.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited July 2017
    57Deluxe said:

.thank you @olafgarten !  ..and @57Deluxe it's also just a little presumptive to say 'classic user error'...it's not as if I'm an inexperienced player.  It's not that the Sessionette 75 was a bad amp...it wasn't, and I did keep it for a few years not least because it was portable & loud - and I had an MXR distortion pedal.  But it did lack natural warmth and was a little muddy, even with the Mosfet circuit which was an improvement on the original design.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2017
    had my Session since 1986 - is nothing you can't dial with it and @olafgarten-  pedals should only enhance your tone - not create it.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My Champion 4o is a sweet amp for many useful  tones and a great clean channel .I have gigged it .For home use though a 12 inch speaker pumps out a lot of volume and punch even at low volumes .I have just bought a DV Mark Little jazz and that is lovely for cleans and takes pedals well .The special neo 8 inch speaker allows good volumes   but doesnt push so much air as a 12 inch but still is loud enough for small jazzy gigs or indeed any other  clean sounds .Its good with my Tele for finger style country rock and loves my Midtown for  moody jazz .All without even touching the knobs much .it just comes up with a good tone and no hard work .For home use an 8 inch or indeed a decent 6 inch in a Champ  style  amp will still get demands to turn it down  if cranked.Probably just for home and practice a THR hits the right spot .
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    ICBM said:
    I was sure I'd read it was Class D, but that may well be wrong.
    Think this is the quote from Boss tech guy...(not totally sure what it means):

"The Blues Cube series is a discrete (analog component) class A/B design and the Katana is an IC (DSP) class A/B design. The physical power amps for both are class A/B and both dynamically interact with the live speaker as do tube amps."

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    andyoz said:
    ICBM said:
    I was sure I'd read it was Class D, but that may well be wrong.
    Think this is the quote from Boss tech guy...(not totally sure what it means):

"The Blues Cube series is a discrete (analog component) class A/B design and the Katana is an IC (DSP) class A/B design. The physical power amps for both are class A/B and both dynamically interact with the live speaker as do tube amps."

Both sound alright for all intents and purposes. That said I am a luddite.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

"both are class A/B and both dynamically interact with the live speaker as do tube amps." < Probably means there is a low value resistor in the earth side of the speaker circuit that introduces negative CURRENT feedback which gives the amplifier a higher output impedance than the buggerall that sstate amps naturally have but valve OP stages don't.

"Dynamically Interact" ?? Yeah, well....

I think I might start a collection of these manufacture's adpuff phases? Many here will understand why!

Dave.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ecc83 said:

"both are class A/B and both dynamically interact with the live speaker as do tube amps." < Probably means there is a low value resistor in the earth side of the speaker circuit that introduces negative CURRENT feedback which gives the amplifier a higher output impedance than the buggerall that sstate amps naturally have but valve OP stages don't.

"Dynamically Interact" ?? Yeah, well....

I think I might start a collection of these manufacture's adpuff phases? Many here will understand why!

Dave.

You mean like "current feedback"?
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    57Deluxe said:

That's an odd thing to say.  As @57Deluxe describes is exactly how I've always used amps, slightly hairy clean with pedals on top.  Surely not a controversial method?  Is it even possible for a pedal to turn a rubbish amp into a good one?  A crap amp will sound crap no matter how many pedals you throw at it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30924
    The JC22 and JC40 are stunning.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.