Work security

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1100
Putting in jobs at work on the system, it's always fun to see the notes for specific clients that get passed to haulage so they can get to site easily.

Typically these are along the lines of "Ring SoandSo on 07XXXXXXXXX when you set off", just so that the guys on site know when the hauliers are due.

Best one I found though was "Key to gate padlock under brick". I bet he's got bloody good insurance for that company!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14574
    Site contractors are notorious for that. Thousands of pounds' worth of mechanical engineering tools and materials, stored overnight, in a lockable freight container box. The key is then popped into a "secret" nearby cubby hole that a five-year-old could probably guess at.

Obviously, site security ensures that thievin' little kids do not get anywhere the containers. Things still manage to A.W.O.L.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    A while back a local recycling unit burnt down. I walked past a few weeks ago, all boxed off. Except the padlocks on the fencing still had the key's in them. This was around 10pm on a weekend.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    In terms of bad security in a different way, I worked for a large multi-national company, listed on the FTSE100, whose domain admin password was a day of the week. No numbers, letters, or special characters, all lower-case, and it stayed that way for about seven years without being changed.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I know I've mentioned him before but I have ( maybe had, must be two years since I've seen him) a mate who was a security secret shopper. He had lots of stories, mostly about blagging his way into places ( for which he was paid good money by the companies to test their systems). People tend to be polite and let you tailgate them into their places of work so you can go nick a few handbags left on desks. 
    When I did prison visits if I was hanging around ( there is a lot of that going to prisons) I would try to work out how you could smuggle drugs in. Mostly it looked very easy. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12429

When I did prison visits if I was hanging around ( there is a lot of that going to prisons) I would try to work out how you could smuggle drugs in. Mostly it looked very easy. 

I used to visit a guy in Long Lartin prison. Security was amazingly tight there: you'd get patted down, put through a metal detector thing like the ones in an airport and then have to go past an officer with a drug sniffer dog. Maybe it was a higher category prison?

I agree about the hanging about bit  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    boogieman said:

I used to visit a guy in Long Lartin prison. Security was amazingly tight there: you'd get patted down, put through a metal detector thing like the ones in an airport and then have to go past an officer with a drug sniffer dog. Maybe it was a higher category prison?

I agree about the hanging about bit  ;)
    The high security ones are pretty secure. I used to go to HMP Wakefield and there was a point they used to make you take your shoes off as well as the pat down and metal detector ( and I was an official visitor). They had a sex offender unit and if I was visiting one of those I had to have a guard sit in with me for the interview ( I don't know whose security that was for). 
    In less secure ones they often had terrible security though with nobody really keeping an eye on the visitors and for open prisons it was, obviously, pretty lax. 
    Not that I ever did actually smuggle drugs in! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited July 2017
    Best one I know is my predecessor wouldn't give his PC password to his deputy, Ted. Whenever he went on holiday, Ted used to spend ages trying to crack the password to get in to his boss's PC, when in fact there wasn't one.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    The company i worked for needed pass codes for key safes on outside the houses ....the number used was the the date that the company were established that was wrote on the side of all the work vans..
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    I've worked on many defense related projects when I wasn't doing games (Engineering stuff and VR) I've had to have pretty high security clearance for some of them ie when I had access to the Type 45 steel plans or the internals of an Astute class sub.
    The security hoops I have to jump through for the games stuff is way, way stricter.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom