Only American is good enough

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    mike_l said:
    I've mostly heard Americans say "American made is best, anything else is second class".
     I think this reflects across America generally, the car guys all want American Muscle not "imports". Guitar guys all want American made not made anywhere else.
    When I was looking for a Strat I tried loads right upto American Fenders. I got a Korean made Koa model. My Dave Murray Strat is Mexican made.
    From 8 guitars I have 1 American (Charvel model 4), while a great guitar it's not "better" than my Japanese* (or otherwise) made guitars.
    *I have 4 Japanese made guitars.
    I think that's a bit of an outdated notion TBH.

I have lots of relatives in the US and they all drive imports, although of course they do build BMW's etc there.

The only person I know out there that drives an American car is my English middle son who has a Camaro, although his bike is a Suzuki.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9677
    My MIM Strat easily appears to be as well put together as my US Tele. Add a couple of hundred beer tokens for better hardware and I see very little reason for buying American.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10462
    tFB Trader
    Its interesting to note that amongst those who think only US is good enough ... a surprising number them take out the 'premium' US made pickups and fit Bare Knuckle, or whatever UK maker you might name (including my own). If I were of the cynical disposition I'd conclude that it's only the US name on the headstock that's good enough ... that's the bit the audience or fellow guitarists see ... but of course I'm not a cynic ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Neil said:
    mike_l said:
    I've mostly heard Americans say "American made is best, anything else is second class".
     I think this reflects across America generally, the car guys all want American Muscle not "imports". Guitar guys all want American made not made anywhere else.
    When I was looking for a Strat I tried loads right upto American Fenders. I got a Korean made Koa model. My Dave Murray Strat is Mexican made.
    From 8 guitars I have 1 American (Charvel model 4), while a great guitar it's not "better" than my Japanese* (or otherwise) made guitars.

I have lots of relatives in the US and they all drive imports, although of course they do build BMW's etc there.

The only person I know out there that drives an American car is my English middle son who has a Camaro, although his bike is a Suzuki.  ;)

Not really, the car guys, IE those who'se lives revolve around cars, car shows etc all want American muscle. The import side of things tends to be those who want a cheap everyday car and don't give too much of a fuck about what it is.

Likewise, I'm a member of a Charvel owners group, nearly every single American on there says that only American made guitars are worthy, and those made elsewhere are substandard. I've given up arguing with them. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Guitars are only bits of wood and a few wires. Hardly rocket science. Given most countries can knock out an iPhone I find national chauvinism a bit silly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10462
    tFB Trader
    Guitars are only bits of wood and a few wires. Hardly rocket science. Given most countries can knock out an iPhone I find national chauvinism a bit silly.
    Similarly cars are just steel and rubber ... a bit of ABS plastic etc ... most countries can knock them out. 

Chinese design

Italian design 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26601
    edited July 2017
    Similarly cars are just steel and rubber ... a bit of ABS plastic etc ... most countries can knock them out. 

Chinese design

Italian design 

Yikes, that really puts it in perspective...
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

I love these. Where can I get one?
    Like a hot-rodded mobility scooter.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8710
    TTony said:
    The perception of 'USA is best'  has its roots in the birth of  popular music, 
    the Marketing departments of large American corporations.
    There's an historical context here. As the USA expanded west after their civil war most goods had to be ordered from suppliers on the east coast, and catalogue shopping became a way of life. Marketing became the way to sell because it was difficult to phone a friend for advice. The Americans who I've lived and worked with told me that Americans are more accepting of marketing messages than the British.

It seems to be the general opinion of guitarists that only an American made instrument can ever be the ultimate guitar and object of ultimate lust. Anything made anywhere else can only be a poor second.
    European economies were set back a decade or more by the Second World War, whereas the US economy benefited from it. Consequently, in the '50s and '60s when the electric guitar emerged the initial market and the supply base were both in the USA. In that period US made guitars were better designed and better made than anything made in Europe or elsewhere.

That is no longer true. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    mike_l said:
    Neil said:
    mike_l said:

Not really, the car guys, IE those who'se lives revolve around cars, car shows etc all want American muscle. The import side of things tends to be those who want a cheap everyday car and don't give too much of a fuck about what it is.

Likewise, I'm a member of a Charvel owners group, nearly every single American on there says that only American made guitars are worthy, and those made elsewhere are substandard. I've given up arguing with them. 
    Well obviously show people want old muscle cars, I've been to enough shows in the US to know that, and TBH those cars are pretty unbeatable in looks and power IMO. 

However you did say it "reflects across America generally" which is, in my experience incorrect.

Also I wouldn't say  imports are only for people who want a cheap everyday car.  Plenty of high level BMW's , Audi's, Range Rovers, Lexus etc over there.

Imports are usually seen in the US as a prestige item.