Handwired Deluxe Reverb at last

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Does it really make that much difference ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    edited July 2017
    the price seems about the same as the "booteek" brands, cant say i am remotely interested though :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    I'd like one just to say I've got one, but in reality my regular DRRI is absolutely fine. 

I don't think the price looks too bad compared to other brands, and compared to the price the DRRI has now crept up to.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    It probably still can't be sold here with the non-RoHS compliant optocoupler tremolo though - but would they make it with the digital converter? That would seem to defeat the point a bit...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    That will be a VERY expensive 20 watt amp by the time it gets to the UK....
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    That will be a VERY expensive 20 watt amp by the time it gets to the UK....
    Nice tho'    ;)  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2017
    Whilst nowt wrong with a regular DRRI, for the money they're asking, if you want to get in that ballpark, both sound and package-wise, I'd go boutique, like a Carr, Divided, Morgan etc. It'll probably be better made, better components, like the transformer and speaker, and better sounding.

Nice idea but too pricey. You're even getting close to the vintage price of these.
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    @ICBM the way I see it, fender could go with bias type tremolo to get around that issue. But I doubt they will and it would not be true to spec. I would love to say they are late to the game, and there's much better amps out there (which there are), but I'm sure no matter how late, people will still buy these because they're fenders.

I just hope they put a decent speaker, decent transformers and a pine cabinet (which the reissue really should have).

I will not be buying one.
    riscado said:
    @ICBM the way I see it, fender could go with bias type tremolo to get around that issue. But I doubt they will and it would not be true to spec.
    I've thought that since they started with this extra circuitry thing. I actually prefer bias tremolo anyway - the best being the Vibro-Champ's, which works on the second preamp stage and so could be applied to just the Vibrato channel on the Deluxe, rather than the Princeton's which is on the power valves - although I accept that it sounds different and possibly isn't to everyone's taste.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    A wee bit cheaper than that new hand wired Vox AC-15.
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    ICBM said:
    riscado said:
    @ICBM the way I see it, fender could go with bias type tremolo to get around that issue. But I doubt they will and it would not be true to spec.
    I've thought that since they started with this extra circuitry thing. I actually prefer bias tremolo anyway - the best being the Vibro-Champ's, which works on the second preamp stage and so could be applied to just the Vibrato channel on the Deluxe, rather than the Princeton's which is on the power valves - although I accept that it sounds different and possibly isn't to everyone's taste.
    I completely agree, the vibrochamp's vibrato is the best, they should use that.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    Sassafras said:
    A wee bit cheaper than that new hand wired Vox AC-15.
    Perhaps a new trend? The lower the wattage - the higher the price?
    richardhomer said:

Marshall probably set the bar on that with their 50th Anniversary amps at over £700 per watt…

Although I think the winner is the ZVex Nano at over £500 for a 0.5W (fully overdriven) amp.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    ICBM said:
    richardhomer said:

Marshall probably set the bar on that with their 50th Anniversary amps at over £700 per watt…

Although I think the winner is the ZVex Nano at over £500 for a 0.5W (fully overdriven) amp.

I still think the Nano is better value than those Marshalls.
    Far more versatile as a home amp and for recording.
    Sassafras said:

It just flat-out sounds better too.

I sometimes wish I hadn't sold mine - but the fan noise was very irritating, and it was no good for even an extremely low-volume acoustic band situation... I tried, it just wasn't loud enough even with a very efficient speaker.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:

It just flat-out sounds better too.

I sometimes wish I hadn't sold mine - but the fan noise was very irritating, and it was no good for even an extremely low-volume acoustic band situation... I tried, it just wasn't loud enough even with a very efficient speaker.

I've always wondered about the Nano's fan noise, how is it wired up? Is it always on full or connected to a temperature probe? I'm sure you could make it quieter by using a larger fan.