Klemt echolette and head

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
I have 2 old gold klemt amps in the garage ...one a echolette and the other M40 i think ....im not sure iff they are working but does anyone know iff its worth getting these working probably to sell on cos i have no need for them and what price should i be looking at ..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    They are almost certainly worth getting looked at unless they're obviously really far gone. I don't know the values but this kind of thing is pretty sought-after nowadays and worth a fair bit.

Whatever you do, DO NOT power them up to see if they work. It needs to be done with controlled voltage and current monitoring or serious damage can occur, if they've been stored in garage conditions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    They are cool, always though the M40 was a good candidate for a guitar amp, with 4xel84s. I had one myself.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    ICBM said:
    They are almost certainly worth getting looked at unless they're obviously really far gone. I don't know the values but this kind of thing is pretty sought-after nowadays and worth a fair bit.

Whatever you do, DO NOT power them up to see if they work. It needs to be done with controlled voltage and current monitoring or serious damage can occur, if they've been stored in garage conditions.
    Thanks i think i will get them looked at ...they have been sat there for years ... dont really know much about them apart from them being german i think ... :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    I've got an M40, over here they're hard to sell i think. Saw one fail to get any bids at 175 it did need servicing though. Mine was just over £200 from Germany all original inc most of the Telefunken valves. Early point wired one.
    I have 2 schematics i think if its any help, though apparently mine doesn't match either.

They run clean but some transformer tap something or other lets them dirty up. I had mine modded so the fx loop is used for more gain via one channel as a gain control.

Each channel has push/pull to use the loop (or added dirt on mine) and an internal tone trimmer wheel.

Would love the tape echo, just because..
    tFB Trader
    Forgot - Jeff Beck has one of of the tape echo heads
    Corvus said:
    I've got an M40, over here they're hard to sell i think. Saw one fail to get any bids at 175 it did need servicing though. Mine was just over £200 from Germany all original inc most of the Telefunken valves. Early point wired one.
    I have 2 schematics i think if its any help, though apparently mine doesn't match either.

They run clean but some transformer tap something or other lets them dirty up. I had mine modded so the fx loop is used for more gain via one channel as a gain control.

Each channel has push/pull to use the loop (or added dirt on mine) and an internal tone trimmer wheel.

Would love the tape echo, just because..
    So do they sound good as a guitar amp ..? No idea of wattage or anything ..im going to ratch them out tomorrow i think 
    Corvus said:
    Forgot - Jeff Beck has one of of the tape echo heads
    Well iff its good enough for Jeff ill get it sorted out :)
    tFB Trader

Sound great to me clean, in the Fendery region Bassman-ish perhaps. For dirt it sounds bad with V30s but full and meaty with a Creamback 65. Also sounds a lot different with old Mullard power valves vs the Telefunkens. Praps they're just tired.

32 watts I think is the usual quoted number.

I'd like to have mine un-modded... have to find someone to do that.
    DIN sockets replaced and channel 2 as gain -

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/zilla/3.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Corvus said:

Sound great to me clean, in the Fendery region Bassman-ish perhaps. For dirt it sounds bad with V30s but full and meaty with a Creamback 65. Also sounds a lot different with old Mullard power valves vs the Telefunkens. Praps they're just tired.

32 watts I think is the usual quoted number.

I'd like to have mine un-modded... have to find someone to do that.
    DIN sockets replaced and channel 2 as gain -

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/zilla/3.jpg

Yeah thats the one ..i was just going to get them fixed to sell on but maybe be good as a amp ...not sure iff the echolette uses tapes or what ...they have just been there for years and never really touched them 
    tFB Trader

If yours has DIN sockets it's point to point, later ones that came with 1/4" as standard have a circuit board apparently, I've not seen into one of those though.

The echo is tape, still see the tapes sold in Germany. Once guy reckoned they can be quite noisy but that could just be a case of needing servicing...

Corvus said:

If yours has DIN sockets it's point to point, later ones that came with 1/4" as standard have a circuit board apparently, I've not seen into one of those though.

The echo is tape, still see the tapes sold in Germany. Once guy reckoned they can be quite noisy but that could just be a case of needing servicing...

Yeah mine is din cos i remember looking and thinking i would need a lead made up 
    tFB Trader
    I had an adaptor lead but when serviced/modded got them all changed, and the power socket sorted too.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Didn't the Beatles use them for a while?
    tFB Trader
    They used a later Klemt apparently, can't remember the model, in the Hamburg stint.