Boost pedals, attenuators and other things I don't understand....

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Hi

In my search for the ultimate overdrive pedal I've come to the realisation that, while many overdrives sound very good, none of them really replicate the sound of tube amp break up that I'm looking for. So, my question is... would I be able to use a boost pedal to boost the signal to the front end of the amp and turn the volume up on the amplifier to achieve the overdriven sound I want... and then use an attenuator to manage the overall output volume of the amplifier? Or is this crazy talk?! Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    What's the amp?
    How very rock and roll
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Its a custom job, based off a Princeton... About 20 watts
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Yes.

Other points…

Different boosts and different attenuators will perform differently.

With attenuators, you need one rated for at least double the power of the amp really - although that won't usually be an issue with a 20W amp.

The attenuator needs to match the impedance of the amp, although some are more 'universal' than others.

It will shorten the life of the valves a bit but shouldn't (if the amp is well-built) do any other harm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Dr. Z Brake Lite seems like a good option. It makes me wonder why more people don't choose to go down this route... Is it due to the wear it puts on the amp/tubes?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    An example if the sound you are after?
    The Dr. Z Brake Lite seems like a good option.
    I know a lot of people think I have a thing about this ;), but I really don't get the hype or the love for it.

I've tried a couple. It's not actually bad-sounding, but it is very average. It also contains three components, is rated at best for 45W (and I wouldn't run a cranked 45W amp into it) the standard model doesn't even have a proper casing, and it's *over £200*. It has to be the most overpriced attenuator there is.

Seriously, £219 for this?

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/dr-z-amplification-brake-lite-1015230.jpg

It makes me wonder why more people don't choose to go down this route... Is it due to the wear it puts on the amp/tubes?
    Possibly, plus there's a bit of extra complexity. It also may not sound as good as you expect - if you think it's going to give the exact same sound as a cranked amp but quieter, you're likely to be disappointed. You will get an overdriven amp sound - but because the speaker is being driven less hard and being damped more heavily, and not least because your ears don't respond in the same way at lower volume, it will not give the same listening experience.

To be perfectly honest, the right overdrive pedal can often sound as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    The Dr. Z Brake Lite seems like a good option.
    I know a lot of people think I have a thing about this ;), but I really don't get the hype or the love for it.

I've tried a couple. It's not actually bad-sounding, but it is very average. It also contains three components, is rated at best for 45W (and I wouldn't run a cranked 45W amp into it) the standard model doesn't even have a proper casing, and it's *over £200*. It has to be the most overpriced attenuator there is.

Seriously, £219 for this?

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/dr-z-amplification-brake-lite-1015230.jpg

It makes me wonder why more people don't choose to go down this route... Is it due to the wear it puts on the amp/tubes?
    Possibly, plus there's a bit of extra complexity. It also may not sound as good as you expect - if you think it's going to give the exact same sound as a cranked amp but quieter, you're likely to be disappointed. You will get an overdriven amp sound - but because the speaker is being driven less hard and being damped more heavily, and not least because your ears don't respond in the same way at lower volume, it will not give the same listening experience.

To be perfectly honest, the right overdrive pedal can often sound as good.
    Thanks for your reply, that's food for thought for sure!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    I have had very good results with the 2 notes torpedo, which is a reactive load. Works very nicely with my amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    The first thing to do is get your amp somewhere out of the way and crank the balls off it and see if that is the sound in your head.

Personally I'm not all that fond of a cranked Princeton, but that's just me.
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    The Dr. Z Brake Lite seems like a good option. It makes me wonder why more people don't choose to go down this route... Is it due to the wear it puts on the amp/tubes?
    I have a brake lite that I no longer use - PM me if you want to talk about buying it.  Used but in great condition.

Cheers
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'd simply get a Way Huge Pork Loin and be done with it.
    It's got enough output to be used as a clean boost and the OD sounds very natural especially with Fender style amps.
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    You have the right idea, also a cheap way you can go is put an eq pedal or volume pedal through the amp effects loop, then you can tweak tone and lower the output volume, it's cool if you want to push you're pre amp to full dirty or break up at a low volume

edited July 2017
    Nice few videos  from Mr Wampler on this subject, has helped me out alot on my home set up. My annoying neighbour has finally stopped moaning thanks to watching these videos! Got some new and nice tones from my amp too! Bonus! 
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    Reactive loads work better than restive loads when it comes to attenuators. 

Having said that, I used a Hotplate for years with good results. 
    Reactive loads work better than restive loads when it comes to attenuators. 
    That very much depends on the amp, in my experience. Some amps - particularly Vox-type no-NFB ones - seem to not like reactive loads and prefer straight resistive ones, although it does depend on exactly how reactive the load is... some which claim to be are in fact mostly resistive.

There can be an issue with the impedance curve as well - some are *very* different from a real speaker (including the Hotplate, when the Bright switch is engaged) which can sound bad with some amps or put a lot of strain on the valves (again including the Hotplate, with Marshall-type amps in particular). 

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    I never used the eq switches on the Hotplate as I didn't like them.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    MrMusic said:
    You have the right idea, also a cheap way you can go is put an eq pedal or volume pedal through the amp effects loop, then you can tweak tone and lower the output volume, it's cool if you want to push you're pre amp to full dirty or break up at a low volume
    +1 simple and works, not sure why it's not more widely used.  I built a patch bay for my stuff and built a volume pot into it that works on the Return connection, allows me to drive the preamp, drop the level going into the power amp, then crank the power amp with the main amp volume, works well.