Anybody notice a sudden price jump in guitars? I know they have been rising

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Well put it is obviously nothing to do with Brexit .........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    How could people even begin to draw such a conclusion....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    In May, I purchased a NOS 2014 Squier VM Precision Bass for £265. i.e. the 2014 MSRP. 

A reputable South of England music store is currently asking £375 BNIB. Another, cheekier, outlet is phishing for £475. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    Kylef said:
    I never usually notice these things, but I got the fright of my life when I saw how much it costs for a Johnny Marr Jaguar now. £1489 to £1919 in less than 2 years. 

Its hard to see where it has come from, even with the exchange rates. You can see the list on  both UK and US Fender websites... UK £1,999 and US $1,799. I don't think I have seen such a gap before... Unless it's £600 for a CITES certificate?
    $1799 nearly equates to £1999 when import duty/tax, vat and shipping are brought into play

$1799 at 1.3 exchange rate (assuming you can actually get that rate) is £1383 - if you had it shipped from the USA then now add £120 = £1503 - add around 4% import duty (might be higher) so now £1563 - now add vat so £1875
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    It's just depressing because I want a Marr Jaguar and they'll be over £2k soon enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    capo4th said:
    Blame Philip Hammond
    Yes, he's not even a real hamster
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    Kylef said:
    I never usually notice these things, but I got the fright of my life when I saw how much it costs for a Johnny Marr Jaguar now. £1489 to £1919 in less than 2 years. 

Its hard to see where it has come from, even with the exchange rates. You can see the list on  both UK and US Fender websites... UK £1,999 and US $1,799. I don't think I have seen such a gap before... Unless it's £600 for a CITES certificate?
    $1799 nearly equates to £1999 when import duty/tax, vat and shipping are brought into play

$1799 at 1.3 exchange rate (assuming you can actually get that rate) is £1383 - if you had it shipped from the USA then now add £120 = £1503 - add around 4% import duty (might be higher) so now £1563 - now add vat so £1875
    £120 to ship a guitar from the US? 

tFB Trader
    Neil said:

£120 to ship a guitar from the US? 

one guitar  ?- yes - based on you buying from a USA dealer and having it shipped/insured to your door - might be a touch more now - and if a rosewood guitar then cost of a CITES certificate to leave the USA and a similar EU version to arrive in the EU

Obviously Fender will have a multiple shipment of guitars in a container so different costs for them - but then distribution centre costs to pay - EU + UK office to staff etc

• bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    WE GOT OUR COUNTRY BACK GET OVER IT

WE ALL KNEW THAT THINGS WOULD GET WORSE BUT THATS A PRICE WORTH PAYING FOR SOVEREIGNTY

BUT NOW THINGS ARE GETTING WORSE ITS NOT ANYTHING TO DO WITH BREXIT ACTUALLY
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    The way to react is just to not buy unless a crazy deal hits. Or buy used. I always love a brand new guitar or bass but I won't be paying the recent prices.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    In May, I purchased a NOS 2014 Squier VM Precision Bass for £265. i.e. the 2014 MSRP. 

A reputable South of England music store is currently asking £375 BNIB. Another, cheekier, outlet is phishing for £475. 
    What I would find interesting is the way stores pay for their stock.

i.e. do they buy it, or does it get purchased on a sale or return basis?

If they own it outright, the regular sticker changes in store with currency fluctuations are, well, arguably, opportunistic profiteering.  If they have another arrangement, then it is more understandable.

I did go into one local store where someone tried to sell me a damaged Epi Wildkat for £375.  I pointed out that brand new ones on their website were £299 - they didn't get it.

On the other hand, the guitar eventually sold, and I never bought a Wildkat, so someone somewhere presumably paid the asking price!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    edited July 2017
    Things may have changed but back when my family had their toes in the MI biz you bought stuff on 30 day credit terms, then you paid for it in full, often out of an overdraft if you were a newish company. So you'd make the most money by shifting it at full price quickly, vs having it for a long time and potentially paying interest on it (depreciating the value of the inventory itself in the process). The older stock gets the more incentive you have to discount to get rid of it as it helps cash flow and credit/debt ratios. Sadly, some retailers, esp small ones don't seem to understand that part and if the sticker price is £xxxx they won't sell for a penny less because they think they have to recoup all of it. 
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^ to both @Whitecat and @darthed1981 ;

yes stock is purchased by the retailer - To maximise the price and take settlement it is often 5-10 days to pay, so very rarely do you sell the item before you pay for it - many items can take 3-6 months before the are sold and after paying the supplier - If you don't take settlement then most companies require payment within 30 days

Ref changing sticker prices - I dare say different retailers adopt a different policy on different products and brands - In some cases the price is influenced by the MRP or SRP that is dictated/suggested by the supplier - And yes I dare say at times a dealer might increase the price of an existing item that is in stock - But what happens when the dealer has to respond to an Amazon promotion and reduce the price of his stock - Or indeed when the supplier reduces the item in price when an end of  line job out deal comes into play - In this case the dealer will often have to sell at less than trade price or close to trade price - No sob story but it is a swings and roundabouts issue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756

yes stock is purchased by the retailer - To maximise the price and take settlement it is often 5-10 days to pay, so very rarely do you sell the item before you pay for it - many items can take 3-6 months before the are sold and after paying the supplier - If you don't take settlement then most companies require payment within 30 days

Ref changing sticker prices - I dare say different retailers adopt a different policy on different products and brands - In some cases the price is influenced by the MRP or SRP that is dictated/suggested by the supplier - And yes I dare say at times a dealer might increase the price of an existing item that is in stock - But what happens when the dealer has to respond to an Amazon promotion and reduce the price of his stock - Or indeed when the supplier reduces the item in price when an end of  line job out deal comes into play - In this case the dealer will often have to sell at less than trade price or close to trade price - No sob story but it is a swings and roundabouts issue
    Thanks both for the response and the explanation, it's very enlightening.

Please don't take it as a slight on any dealer who posts here, or any dealer full stop, that I asked the question, as @Whitecat said, I've found some shops to be a bit infexible when it comes to pricing, its definitely cost them sales from me in the past.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    tFB Trader

Thanks both for the response and the explanation, it's very enlightening.

Please don't take it as a slight on any dealer who posts here, or any dealer full stop, that I asked the question, as @Whitecat said, I've found some shops to be a bit infexible when it comes to pricing, its definitely cost them sales from me in the past.
    thanks for last comment - appreciate it - I think to be fair there is not a fixed policy within the trade on this and you'll always get on better with one store than another, for whatever reason